Author Topic: 400/4 engine bars  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Coppertop1234

  • SOHC Expert
  • Posts: 328
  • As long as the wife is happy
    • View Profile
400/4 engine bars
« on: September 05, 2026, 08:31:45 AM »
Can you still get the engine bars or has anyone got a set?
I Love Tinkering with Old Classics
1970 Mobylette 50cc  
1972 Honda Cb175
1974 Yamaha Rd250  
1962 Triumph 650 Bonneville
1972 Norton Commando
1978 Honda CB400/4
1976 CB750F1 
1976 Suzuki GT750 Kettle
1978 Honda CB 750 F1 
Married Life No Bikes for a while then
1975 CB Honda 400/4 Restoration
1976 Kawasaki Z650   Restoration
2002 Suzuki GSX1400
1976 Honda cb750F1  Restoration
1978 Honda cb750 F1 Restoration
1977 CB 250 Dream    Restoration
1977 CB400/4  - The last one - Restoration

Offline Athame57

  • SOHC Master
  • Posts: 2037
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2026, 03:25:04 AM »
Engine bars on a 400/4 are a 1970s fashion crime!  :o Beware of returning over length bolts if you take a set off.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2026, 04:54:39 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 named Elen.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8614
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2026, 07:35:13 AM »
Punching a hole in your oil gallery is not recommended.
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline florence

  • SOHC Master
  • Posts: 1362
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2026, 09:10:34 AM »
when I bought my CB350 in 1985 it had engine bars on it.  I took them off.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8614
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2026, 09:30:13 AM »
My 400 Superdream had an engine crash bar, rear luggage rack with box, plus some rear side bars. They were very heavy with plenty of rusty chrome. They will go to the scrap man soon.
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Coppertop1234

  • SOHC Expert
  • Posts: 328
  • As long as the wife is happy
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2026, 11:15:15 AM »
They do the job of protecting casings from minor damage. If you drop it at low speed.

Yes they can also cause damage to frame

Yes seen many sets used too long bolts and opps they get an oil leak. Just changed an engine on son's bike for same thing

It was just a thought and that's probably why you can't find any about.
I Love Tinkering with Old Classics
1970 Mobylette 50cc  
1972 Honda Cb175
1974 Yamaha Rd250  
1962 Triumph 650 Bonneville
1972 Norton Commando
1978 Honda CB400/4
1976 CB750F1 
1976 Suzuki GT750 Kettle
1978 Honda CB 750 F1 
Married Life No Bikes for a while then
1975 CB Honda 400/4 Restoration
1976 Kawasaki Z650   Restoration
2002 Suzuki GSX1400
1976 Honda cb750F1  Restoration
1978 Honda cb750 F1 Restoration
1977 CB 250 Dream    Restoration
1977 CB400/4  - The last one - Restoration

Offline Laverda Dave

  • SOHC Jedi
  • Posts: 3621
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2026, 11:26:18 AM »
DSS used to sell a set, I don't know if they still do. I did buy a set but never fitted them, if I still have them (and can find them!) I'd be happy to sell them plus the P&P because they are large and no doubt heavy!
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'The Flying Banana'
1982 Laverda 120 Jota
2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
1990 Honda VFR400R NC30

Offline Otis

  • SOHC Member
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2026, 03:49:00 PM »
I love the smaller engine bars that fit the 500 and 750 but the big loopy bars for the 350?400 are pretty naff looking imho. I looked into them myself a while back but what I wanted wasn't available.
Graham

1972 Honda CB350F
1997 Ducati ST2

Offline Coppertop1234

  • SOHC Expert
  • Posts: 328
  • As long as the wife is happy
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2026, 04:11:52 PM »
The ones I wanted are the smaller casing bars to protect gen cover etc.

Agree the larger loop bars are bigger than the bike.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2026, 06:47:46 PM by Coppertop1234 »
I Love Tinkering with Old Classics
1970 Mobylette 50cc  
1972 Honda Cb175
1974 Yamaha Rd250  
1962 Triumph 650 Bonneville
1972 Norton Commando
1978 Honda CB400/4
1976 CB750F1 
1976 Suzuki GT750 Kettle
1978 Honda CB 750 F1 
Married Life No Bikes for a while then
1975 CB Honda 400/4 Restoration
1976 Kawasaki Z650   Restoration
2002 Suzuki GSX1400
1976 Honda cb750F1  Restoration
1978 Honda cb750 F1 Restoration
1977 CB 250 Dream    Restoration
1977 CB400/4  - The last one - Restoration

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8614
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2026, 05:47:05 PM »
You could replace the flimsy steel points cover with an alloy type.
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Oddjob

  • SOHC Jedi
  • Posts: 4734
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2026, 11:07:19 PM »
The CB650z fits and is an alloy type not pressed metal. Getting harder to find though.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Athame57

  • SOHC Master
  • Posts: 2037
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2026, 03:05:37 AM »
The CB650z fits and is an alloy type not pressed metal. Getting harder to find though.

If you can afford it there are two left on the CMSL site.  ;)
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 named Elen.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8614
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2026, 08:17:39 AM »
I found a NOS 650 cover in France, it was around the £70 mark with postage.
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Coppertop1234

  • SOHC Expert
  • Posts: 328
  • As long as the wife is happy
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2026, 08:52:18 AM »
Can you post link Ted
I dont know what that looks like and I will.check out cmsl site
Thank you
Keith
I Love Tinkering with Old Classics
1970 Mobylette 50cc  
1972 Honda Cb175
1974 Yamaha Rd250  
1962 Triumph 650 Bonneville
1972 Norton Commando
1978 Honda CB400/4
1976 CB750F1 
1976 Suzuki GT750 Kettle
1978 Honda CB 750 F1 
Married Life No Bikes for a while then
1975 CB Honda 400/4 Restoration
1976 Kawasaki Z650   Restoration
2002 Suzuki GSX1400
1976 Honda cb750F1  Restoration
1978 Honda cb750 F1 Restoration
1977 CB 250 Dream    Restoration
1977 CB400/4  - The last one - Restoration

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8614
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 engine bars
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2026, 09:42:19 AM »
Can you post link Ted
I dont know what that looks like and I will.check out cmsl site
Thank you
Keith

I bought the item from ebay, it was a French Classic Parts place, the part number was 30371-426-000 cost £68.66 with VAT and carraige in March 2024.

I found the item by a google search of the part number. I made a gasket to suit.


#  https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb650-1979-z-usa_model472/cover-point_30371426000/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2026, 09:46:57 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556