Author Topic: My first bike  (Read 1502 times)

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

  • SOHC Pro
  • Posts: 589
    • View Profile
My first bike
« on: September 12, 2026, 10:42:22 AM »
Picture taken late 1975. Traded it in for a new CB200 the following July.  Similar to the yellow 400/4, the purple fizzy was the fastest. 

A set of ace bars, chin on the Speedo and feet on the rear footrests it felt like you were flying at the time.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Regards
Dave

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

  • SOHC Pro
  • Posts: 589
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2026, 11:00:24 AM »
The next one

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Honda CB200

Regards
Dave

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

  • SOHC Pro
  • Posts: 589
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2026, 11:02:36 AM »
Fast forward to around 1981.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This is the same bike I have now.

Regards
Dave

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

  • SOHC Pro
  • Posts: 589
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2026, 11:19:46 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here is the original photo.its amazing what the AI enhance button can do just on your phone.
Regards
Dave

Offline Bryanj

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 12563
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2026, 11:21:30 AM »
Hate to think of the number of fizzys i rebuild

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

  • SOHC Pro
  • Posts: 589
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2026, 11:45:29 AM »
I only crashed mine once.

Headlight mounting ears, rim and a new side panel. Went down a ditch that was soft mud at the bottom.  Spent the rest of the evening cleaning it up and straightening a few bits before I dare  go home on  it in case my dad saw it.



Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8624
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2026, 11:51:45 AM »
I don't have a photo of my first bike, it was an early NSU Quickly, the three speed model!

I had a variety of Scooters including , Capri 70, Viscount Prior, Heinkel and finally a Maico Letta 250.
My mate had a Triumph Tigress, determined not to be outdone I bought a Triumph 21 ( 350 cc bathtub)
 before buying my first Honda. Photo is my second Honda 250 Dream.

PXL_20240220_113522224 by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

PXL_20240220_113744537 by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
Yamaha XJ900F by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 12, 2026, 11:58:40 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Athame57

  • SOHC Master
  • Posts: 2047
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: My first bike
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2026, 12:21:51 PM »
My first bike is an embarrassment!  :o Needing it to commute to a job in Germany back in 1981 I bought a Mofa a class of vehicle absent in the UK, it was a 15 mph kind of moped with pedals on. It still managed to have three speeds. None the less, it was enough to inflict the bug because it made me wonder why I ever bothered with a push bike and made me look at faster things. I went to the Fahrschüler  (driving school) where you go straight to a proper motorbike and ride following an instructor, within three weeks ( it could have been two but I flunked first test) I had a license. The driving school had plonked me straight onto a BMW R65 which felt like mounting a horse to me back then, allocated me an Bavarian instructor who shouted like a nazi bully and made me learn!
Next stop was a Honda 250N, my gawd.  ::)
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 named Elen.

Offline ka-ja

  • ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • Posts: 764
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2026, 09:50:09 AM »
my first bike was a 250 Ariel Arrow, no photo, but reg was 447 CRH, funny how things stick in ones mind.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8624
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2026, 10:10:42 AM »
I suspect your Mofa was similar to the NSU Quickly, an oxymoron if there ever was, nothing Quick about it.
You needed to pedal on most gradients or loose speed to below walking pace.
Pedal it with the clutch in, then hope it would  start before you ran out of energy, handle bar gear change.
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Athame57

  • SOHC Master
  • Posts: 2047
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: My first bike
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2026, 01:15:31 PM »
my first bike was a 250 Ariel Arrow,
Same here, well in a way, it was the Airfix model!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 named Elen.

Offline Coppertop1234

  • SOHC Expert
  • Posts: 328
  • As long as the wife is happy
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2026, 02:05:38 PM »
My fist nearly bike was a mobylette. Mobycaine
Got me to work and even coast a few times,but not without the occasional pedal support.. Next was my bros Cb175 his pride and joy. It lasted me 6 weeks when one of them lampostnthingys jumped out into the middle of the road. Total write off.
Moved onto 4 wheels Hillman imp.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2026, 02:09:44 PM by Coppertop1234 »
I Love Tinkering with Old Classics
1970 Mobylette 50cc  
1972 Honda Cb175
1974 Yamaha Rd250  
1962 Triumph 650 Bonneville
1972 Norton Commando
1978 Honda CB400/4
1976 CB750F1 
1976 Suzuki GT750 Kettle
1978 Honda CB 750 F1 
Married Life No Bikes for a while then
1975 CB Honda 400/4 Restoration
1976 Kawasaki Z650   Restoration
2002 Suzuki GSX1400
1976 Honda cb750F1  Restoration
1978 Honda cb750 F1 Restoration
1977 CB 250 Dream    Restoration
1977 CB400/4  - The last one - Restoration

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

  • Grogu
  • *
  • Posts: 8624
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2026, 02:11:38 PM »
I was torn between a Hillman Imp (early model with pneumatic throttle) and an 850 Mini.
I borrowed an Imp when my Mini was being repaired. On the M1 the transaxle seized when I was doing 60 mph. a very scary experience as I  had to coast from the right hand lane onto the hard shoulder.

I liked all the Imp variants, my cousin had the 998 Rallye version, much quicker than my later Cooper S.
Honda CB400NA Superdream (current money puddle)
Honda CB500 K1 (second money pit)
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,28541.0.html
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
This is a neat 500 restoration in the USA.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Otis

  • SOHC Member
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Re: My first bike
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2026, 05:44:52 PM »
This is a ridiculously old photograph but it was my first bike and I cant even remember what it was other than a 1950 something 150cc two stroke suzuki.

It is me with my sister on the back in our garden in Halfway House, South Africa

 
Graham

1972 Honda CB350F
1997 Ducati ST2

Offline SteveD CB500K0

  • Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Posts: 4661
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: My first bike
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2026, 06:22:42 PM »


CB125S Jul-76 (it was hot and dry)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1971 CB500K0