Honda-SOHC
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
News:
Try our re-instated info resource - "Aladdin's Cave" (Main menu)
- sorry it's taken so long to fix
Home
Forum
Help
Gallery
Login
Register
Donations
Aladdin's Cave
Ash's Dropbox
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB350/400
»
Engine painting
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Engine painting (Read 14073 times)
boilermaker1
SOHC Associate
Posts: 78
Engine painting
«
on:
February 18, 2013, 01:26:04 PM »
Hi, I am currently restoring my 1975 CB400 F. I want to paint the engine but have no
experience with painting.. I need to know what paint gives a good finish, What prep work needs to be done etc, Any help would be great
Logged
buxtonmick
Newbie
Posts: 41
I must be mad
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #1 on:
February 18, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »
The best paint is Simoniz engine enamel in
aluminium not silver
, but to get the durable finish it has to be baked for 90 minutes which means that the engine would have to stripped down. If I were doing it again I would probably spend the money and get the engine aqua blasted - it gives a more original finish (but probably leads to problems controlled surface corrosion etc?).
As I say, following recommendations, I found the Simoniz to be excellent and I notice that David Silver has started selling it now!
Cheers, Mick.
Logged
Jimbo550
SOHC Associate
Posts: 60
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #2 on:
February 18, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »
I've have found simoniz aluminium paint and gloss black looks really good. I didn't bake it in an oven like suggested but I did use a decorators heat gun on the paint for a fair while to get it nice and hot. If I can find some pics of my engine i will post them on here.
Logged
Jimbo550
SOHC Associate
Posts: 60
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #3 on:
February 18, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »
Not great quality pics but they should give you an idea of what it could look like when finished.
Logged
boilermaker1
SOHC Associate
Posts: 78
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #4 on:
February 19, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »
Thanks that very helpful, What about preparation. Did the engine need to be acid etched?
Logged
buxtonmick
Newbie
Posts: 41
I must be mad
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #5 on:
February 19, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »
Nope, just cleaned with paraffin then scuffed with scotchbrite in my case.
Logged
Lynx
Repair & Despair Under One Roof
SOHC Expert
Posts: 401
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #6 on:
February 20, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
I stripped down the whole engine. Degreased with parafin and a tooth brush, then in the dishwasher before getting bead blasted by Redditch Shot Blasting. This cost £90 for the whole engine minus side casings. I then gave 3 coats of Simoniz Aluminium Engine Enamel (2 cans off eBay for £14), except for the barrels which remain bare. I cured in the oven building up from 70 C to 220 C over 90 minutes. Honda painted the side casings, but I prefer the polished look. I have also lacquered the polished bits petrol proof gloss lacquer.
Logged
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.
Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE
Jimbo550
SOHC Associate
Posts: 60
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #7 on:
February 20, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »
As for preparation goes I used a paraffin parts washer to get the main oil and crud off, then used a wire brush or Dremel wire wheel to get any old paint off the bottom casing. For the barrels it was a little more difficult cleaning between the fins so I decided to sand blast the fins which worked well. I made a simple sand blasting gun and got some cheap kiln dried sand for £1 a bag from b&q, connected to the compressor and bingo. The fins came up really clean and a great finish for paint. Just make sure you blown all the sand off after as it goes everywhere. Hope it helps.
Logged
ST1100
SOHC Pro
Posts: 624
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #8 on:
February 21, 2013, 04:07:51 AM »
I've been instructed to use copper slag instead of sand; the slag won't get beaten down to fine, abrasive dust (not ideal for both: your lungs nor the engine/parts), yet it could even be reused (after running it though a strainer though...).
The folks across the pond use soda blasters on the delicate aluminum alloys, less abrasive to the surface.
Logged
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...
Jimbo550
SOHC Associate
Posts: 60
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #9 on:
February 21, 2013, 07:43:41 AM »
I'm aware sand isn't the correct material to use but its cheap and readily available. It was a one off use so the break down of the sand didn't really matter. I did the blasting in the garden and the used sand just went into the garden grass. I used about half a bag of kiln dried sand. Not professional, not healthy, but it worked!!
Logged
UK Pete
SOHC Jedi
Posts: 2696
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #10 on:
February 21, 2013, 09:14:53 AM »
I have used sand many times, i find it perfect, however the dust is a big health problem, if i use it in my blast cabinet i have an extractor/filter running so the fine dust is instantly removed plus you can see what your doing i also wear a mask just incase any dust is escaping
i find it easier to use than the aluminium blast media that sells for over 40 pounds a tub, it is cheaper and gives a better finish
Beware of the dangers though silicosis of the lungs through breathing in the dust is becoming a big problem, even when you sweep the silicon sand in to block paving drives you are now advised to wear a mask, people who work in the building industry are at risk
like anything know the risks and be sensible
Logged
Link to my Diecast K0 restoration
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4827.0.html
Link to sandcast restoration
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,6862.0.html
ST1100
SOHC Pro
Posts: 624
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #11 on:
February 21, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »
Are crushed nutshells avail for regular people? Cause that's what's used by the shops refurbishing aluminum wheels fur cars.
Logged
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...
sweetpeauk
SOHC Associate
Posts: 51
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #12 on:
February 21, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
On my engine I had the crankcases Vapour blasted and then the top case painted in 2 pack, the barrels are NOS so are still bare ali, the head vapour blasted. I have a set of cases painted to match the top case and a fitted set polished.
Logged
CB400F
CB400F2
RVF400
XT500D
CB900F2C
GS1000GT
XS1100E
boilermaker1
SOHC Associate
Posts: 78
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #13 on:
March 18, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
Again thanks for advise and photo's..
I may now have cases polished, what brand or type of lacquer should I use?
Logged
Lynx
Repair & Despair Under One Roof
SOHC Expert
Posts: 401
Re: Engine painting
«
Reply #14 on:
March 25, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
Wow! I thought I'd done a good job but THAT engine is lovely. Well done!
Logged
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.
Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB350/400
»
Engine painting