Honda-SOHC
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
News:
Try our re-instated info resource - "Aladdin's Cave" (Main menu)
- sorry it's taken so long to fix
Home
Forum
Help
Gallery
Login
Register
Donations
Aladdin's Cave
Ash's Dropbox
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB350/400
»
My 350 project
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
3
...
6
Go Down
Author
Topic: My 350 project (Read 42923 times)
Tiny Tim
SOHC Member
Posts: 206
My 350 project
«
on:
March 17, 2015, 05:07:45 PM »
Just had the first real prod and a poke of my 350 project.
First impressions are good, obviously it will need a complete strip down and a few quid thrown at it.
What I've discovered so far is.
A dealers sticker
Some interesting wiring
What looks like some kind of resin on the bottom of the tank
The original exhausts have rotted where the down pipes and mufflers meet, mufflers have split along the seams
Fuel tap bowl has been screwed in so tightly to the tap it's self has broken
Lots of dust, sand and dead spiders.
On the plus side I do have working indicators, main beam, idiot lights, a pretty decent seat and a spark
The main aim this weekend is to get the engine started briefly just to make sure it's not making any nasty noises. Then I'll start the strip and list writing.
Well that's the next couple of years weekend entertainment sorted out, now I just need lots of cash.
More as it happens
Tim
Logged
Drew400
SOHC Pro
Posts: 512
400/4 I restored
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #1 on:
March 18, 2015, 08:19:58 AM »
Nice one Tim.
Shame your pics aren't a bit bigger.
Well done on finding the spiders. They probably kept the flies away.
I found the world's oldest wasp behind my engine. I reckon he/she was 40 years old... albeit a bit crispy!
All the best for your two year project (have you seen the 'cheap' exhaust ad on the forum home page? -
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8054.msg52405/topicseen.html#new
).
Cheers, D.
Logged
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica
Orcade-Ian
SOHC Master
Posts: 1361
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #2 on:
March 18, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »
Hi Tim,
Welcome to the forum from another 350 nut. Plenty of stuff out there to get you up and running.
I have some odds and ends available and lot's of 400/4 bits are compatible. Shout if you need any info/help
Ian
Logged
1953 BSA Golden Flash 650 - still a basket case
1960 Norton Model 50 Featherbed 350
1960 Ducati Elite 200 (nearing completion)
1972 Honda CB 350/4
1975 Honda CB 550/4 F1
1976 Honda CB 400/4 F1
2020 Honda C125 Super Cub
2026 Honda ADV 350
JamesH
SOHC Jedi
Posts: 2880
My 350 project
«
Reply #3 on:
March 18, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »
If you need a set of new 4-4 CB350F pipes I have a brand new boxed set. Bought for a project last year and ended up not needing them. Believe they are Sankei stamped OEM pipes.
Logged
Tiny Tim
SOHC Member
Posts: 206
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #4 on:
March 20, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »
Cheers guys.
Looking forward to getting this bike back on the road.
One question I have, is there a time limit from when a bike is registerd on the nova database until the v5 etc is applied for?
One part I definitely need is a fuel tap. Mine is beyond repair.
I'll try and get bigger pictures up next time.
Tim
Logged
Tiny Tim
SOHC Member
Posts: 206
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #5 on:
March 21, 2015, 08:03:35 PM »
Thanks for the nova info James.
Spent a few hours today trying to get the 350 to start, the closest it got was one very loud cough. I really need to hear it running before I start The strip down. Carbs off tomorrow as they all leak out of the bottom.
Had a bit of a disaster with the left hand engine casing. My own fault really, in my eagerness to find out why the starter motor wires have been tampered with. I put a crack in the casing whilst trying to undo a butchered screw
So I've picked up a blowtorch and will leave the fists of ham indoors next time I go near it.
More as it happens
Tim
«
Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:28:55 PM by Tiny Tim
»
Logged
Tiny Tim
SOHC Member
Posts: 206
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #6 on:
March 23, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »
Progress, I think.
Managed to get the damaged sprocket cover off the bike. A bent screw was the problem.
Found a lovely mouse nest and more dead spiders behind it.
Can't see why the starter motor was disconnected, it does spin over when I hot wire the starter solenoid.
The crowning achievement of yesterday's efforts was I managed to get the beast to fire up for a whole 2-3 seconds.
Carbs still leak, no surprise there then. What little noise the engine made sounded pretty good. No nasty clattering, but I won't know for sure until I have a look inside.
I'll upload a few more photos when I get a minute.
More as it happens.
«
Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:39:37 PM by Tiny Tim
»
Logged
Drew400
SOHC Pro
Posts: 512
400/4 I restored
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #7 on:
March 27, 2015, 03:25:30 PM »
Thanks Tim,
Interesting thread that will probably become more so.
Cheers,
D.
Logged
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica
Tiny Tim
SOHC Member
Posts: 206
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #8 on:
March 28, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
Right then, here we go.
Time to start pulling it apart.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
As you can see I have quite a bit of work ahead of me.
Logged
Tiny Tim
SOHC Member
Posts: 206
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #9 on:
March 28, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »
First hurdle out of the way.
Rear section removed with only one sheared bolt.
I can see a lot of chroming in my future.
More as it happens
Logged
Tiny Tim
SOHC Member
Posts: 206
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #10 on:
March 28, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
Hmmm!
A bit of rust then.
Down pipes are solid.
Logged
Tiny Tim
SOHC Member
Posts: 206
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #11 on:
March 28, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
Rear wheel off, bearings etc look in good condition.
Hopefully save a few pennies there.
I'm sure a previous owner has taken it off road
Logged
Tiny Tim
SOHC Member
Posts: 206
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #12 on:
March 29, 2015, 03:55:05 PM »
Well so far so good.
I've only had one sheared bolt, one chewed screw and a bent screw that resulted in a cracked sprocket cover.
The bike has definitely been used off road.
Wiring loom will need to be replaced as it's been butchered.
Should be completely broken down by next weekend, then I can start sending stuff away for refurbishment. Oh I better write a big shopping list.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
«
Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:56:41 PM by Tiny Tim
»
Logged
ka-ja
ken
SOHC Pro
Posts: 764
yoshi 460
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #13 on:
March 29, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »
Hi,
You missed "expensive" out of shopping list!-Ken
Logged
nice bike,nothing in the bank
Drew400
SOHC Pro
Posts: 512
400/4 I restored
Re: My 350 project
«
Reply #14 on:
April 02, 2015, 08:18:58 AM »
Yes indeed, the more interesting the thread, the more costly the background seems to be!
keep on mate.
Cheers, D.
Logged
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
3
...
6
Go Up
« previous
next »
Honda-SOHC
»
SOHC.co.uk Forums
»
CB350/400
»
My 350 project