Honda-SOHC
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
News:
Try our re-instated info resource - "Aladdin's Cave" (Main menu)
- sorry it's taken so long to fix
Home
Forum
Help
Gallery
Login
Register
Donations
Aladdin's Cave
Ash's Dropbox
Honda-SOHC
»
General
»
New Member Introductions
»
Hi from Tamworth.
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Hi from Tamworth. (Read 4160 times)
Valentinik
SOHC Member
Posts: 142
Hi from Tamworth.
«
on:
January 07, 2016, 10:24:31 AM »
Hi, my names Mike, I'm from Tamworth (just outside Birmingham).
I've just placed a deposit on and hopefully go to collect a '77 CB550 Four at the weekend. My plan is to fully rebuild it and maybe go down the cafe racer style route. Ive never worked on a bike before and i don't have a license to ride one (which some people will no doubt find strange). However i've got a huge interest in anything mechanical.
This is a picture of the bike, as you can see its missing some parts like the carbs and the rockers and cover. The seller wants £300, which i thought was a pretty good deal?
I bought the bike to learn about them as I've got no experience at all. I've since learnt that the forks are from a super dream. I'd planned on changing back to the spoked wheels anyway as I'm not a fan of the allow wheels. So it was good to learn the reason why it didn't have spoked wheels.
Here is also a picture of the westfield kit car I'm building which i will fit the bike build in around this:
Mike
«
Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:00:28 PM by Valentinik
»
Logged
Johnwebley
SOHC Jedi
Posts: 3740
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #1 on:
January 07, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »
welcome to the Forum,
lots a friendly people here,lots of help and advice,
I know were Tamworth is,I used to visit the Reliant factory to collect new Robins etc !!
Logged
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan
Chris400F
SOHC Master
Posts: 1013
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #2 on:
January 07, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »
Hi Mike, welcome from me too, not far away from you in Leicester.
Good luck with getting a bike license. I think things have changed a lot since the days when I took my test, when the key thing
was not to knock the examiner down (who was on foot) when he stepped out to make you do an emergency stop.
I have seen adaptor rings to fit to Comstar hubs to allow spoked rims to ne fitted.
They look interesting but are not cheap, but could be worth considering if you find you will have to swap forks etc to fit spoked wheels.
Logged
andut
SOHC Member
Posts: 178
CB400F, CB400F Cafe & NC30
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #3 on:
January 07, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »
Hi Mike,
Welcome and good luck with both of your projects ! I'm also fairly new to Honda ownership and also have a westfield - believe it or not I find the bike a more practical option !
Andy
Logged
UK Pete
SOHC Jedi
Posts: 2696
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #4 on:
January 07, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »
Hi Mike , welcome aboard fella
pete
Logged
Link to my Diecast K0 restoration
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4827.0.html
Link to sandcast restoration
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,6862.0.html
mike the bike
SOHC Jedi
Posts: 2652
CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #5 on:
January 07, 2016, 05:47:52 PM »
Welcome Mike, I look forward to seeing how the rebuild progresses. Always plenty of expertise and experience, usually learned the hard way, on here so just ask.
Logged
Where's that 10mm socket got to?
K2-K6
Grogu
Posts: 6046
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #6 on:
January 07, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the 550. The wheels and forks look like they maybe from cb650 to me which is what the 550 series evolved into.
What motor are you running in the Westfield? I went in a rover v8 propelled one a few years back which was quite brutal.
Logged
mick
SOHC Master
Posts: 1464
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #7 on:
January 07, 2016, 07:54:50 PM »
Hi mike and welcome to the forum
cheers Mick.
Logged
Valentinik
SOHC Member
Posts: 142
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #8 on:
January 07, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome and information, i think i will look for a set of 550 forks and a rear hub, can anyone tell me that the standard size for a '77 cb550?
The westfield has got a 2litre duratec fitted with a turbo from an impreza wax running around 10psi. The power will be limited to around 230bhp with engine mapping though. As the engine is standard other than a modified sump.
Mike
Logged
Bryanj
Grogu
Posts: 12561
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #9 on:
January 08, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
The 550K3 has a different hub, brakeplate , spacers and swingarm to all the other 500/550
Logged
onethumb
SOHC Expert
Posts: 340
Re: Hi from Tamworth.
«
Reply #10 on:
January 09, 2016, 05:25:17 PM »
Welcome buddy. I never find bargains like that. Nice one.
Steve.
Logged
"20 in a 40 is not safe driving"
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
Honda-SOHC
»
General
»
New Member Introductions
»
Hi from Tamworth.