Author Topic: 500/550 Four Carb Removal - The easiest way I have found !!  (Read 1436 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
500/550 Four Carb Removal - The easiest way I have found !!
« on: April 25, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
This may have been posted before but I really struggled with getting my carbs on and off, after some experimentation I seem to have mastered the easiest way. I can have the carbs off in 15 minutes and back on in 20.

Here is how it goes..........

1) Remove the air filter and airbox, remove the throttle cables, remove tank.
2) Undo the clamps on the engine side and the airbox side and remove the airbox side clamps as it just saves them from getting bent and in the way generally. You can slide them around and off pretty easily.
3) Now push the airbox to carb rubbers back in to the airbox a bit using fingers/blunt screwdriver whatever. You dont need to push them right through just back about an inch util they are off the lip that holds them in the right location relative to tteh carbs.
4) Now you have gained a bit of extra space and the carbs can be pulled off the intake and waggled free pretty easily.

5) To get it all back together slide the carbs back i. From the righ seems easier for some odd reason.
6) Now -  for the middle two rubbers put your hand through the hole in the back of the airbox and push them back out to the right position. Bit fiddly but a combination of pushing and rotating works pretty easily
7) For the two outer rubbers you can pull these through from the engine side easily to their right position
8) Put clamps back on and tighten, refit cables and tank and ride off in to the sunse
9) You are now a carb jeddi  :) :) :)

Two things that help

A) A spray of silicone lubricant or similar helpe with the pulling/pushing.

B) If the rubbers are old and brittle you are going to break them.

I hope this is of some help to others - I really struggled until I got this technique and it's just so easy.

I guess this only fails if you have such giant hands you cant get them inside the airbox but they'd be some mighty big hands I think.
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 500/550 Four Carb Removal - The easiest way I have found !!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »
A heat gun on the rubbers is good for temporary softning
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal