Author Topic: DVLA Aaaagh!!  (Read 2931 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
DVLA Aaaagh!!
« on: April 26, 2016, 06:24:35 AM »
Sent off mŷ V55 2 weeks ago along with
VJMC Stamped dating letter
Photos of bike
Photos of vin plate clearly showing 10/71
Photos of engine number
Mot

And yet they still now want to come and do an inspection which will take apparently 5 days to arrange and then....

Worse still because I could only insure on the vin number for 4 weeks apparently my insurance which cost me 70 quid will lapse and will need to be re taken out

How much evidence do they need

Maybe a picture of a japanese factory worker off the original line holding a calendar of 1971 up would have helped  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:27:44 AM by paulbaker1954 »
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: DVLA Aaaagh!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 07:47:42 AM »
Ridiculous Paul.

Anyone know if you have the original USA title... is it any different?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
New one on me, never known the DVLA to come out to do a visual inspection. They can make an appointment for you and the vehicle to appear at Swansea. I do know that in the world of VOSA that the DVLA will pic a vehicle every now and again for inspection and this is happening more with the large amounts of foreign imports.
I do know someone recently that bought a Harley imported from the states that turned out to be on the stolen list.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:42:32 AM by Trigger »

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:42:52 AM »
My mate in York bought a CB500K1 from DK a month or two back. DVLA have told  him that they may need to inspect it. But it had no title, only the  dating cert.that he is obtaining from VJMC
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 08:43:50 AM »
It's either because they suspect the Vehicle might be 'dodgy' or you are unfortunate that it's just one of the routine/ random spot checks which they have to carry out to demonstrate that they don't just register 'anything which comes along'.

I bought a bike some years ago and a few days after changing the log book ownership details I had a visit from two Detectives who gave it the once over...........to check that the frame and engine numbers matched as it had been in an accident.

They looked a bit sheepish when I told that that the bloke I bought it off was a serving Policeman.

I'm sure your Insurers will accommodate you if you talk to them.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »
 It used to be if the dating latter was from the manufacturer no inspection if a dating service possible  inspection, and when I did this years ago i phoned the insurance company and eplained that dvla were pissing about and they extended the time for me, try it it cant make it any worse

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:05:45 AM »
A mate of mine who builds bikes has the inspector round on a regular basis if the bikes have no original title. So it's not unusual. If you have the USA title docs it just sails through. Insurance will extend you 1 extra month foc if you ring them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »
Called DVLA and got the line that they need to inspect because it's never been on the UK system dah dah dah. Tried to negotiate nicely but no movement. Have to contact an outfit called SGS who will give me an inspection date in up to 5 days.

I am thinking now I wasted £35 getting the VJMC letter and should just have gone for an inspection in the first place.

I cant get a Honda letter either and didn't have original USA title doument.

However DVLA guy said they get SGS report back within 72 hours and once they have it he can advice me the reg number over the phone so that may help

One option to speed up process is to take it to a garage. Anyone know if it is legal to ride it to this inspection  garage with no Reg plate given that it has insurance and valid MOT?
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
I had nothing but a receipt with a NOVA number on it, a VJMC letter was fine, after Honda had messed me about for a while, so maybe you are just unlucky. I did wonder how if at all they could check if a bike had been reported stolen in another country.

Anyone know if it is legal to ride it to this inspection  garage with no Reg plate given that it has insurance and valid MOT?

Probably not, or everyone would be doing it as they shot past speed cameras. At the very least it's asking for a pull, probably best to borrow a van or trailer. My friend may have used a plate off another bike he owned, but that's definitely illegal.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
Argh the old plate off another bike ploy. No officer I haven't done that the last 3 times I did the registration thing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 09:10:21 PM »
I rode my bike to and from the MOT station without a reg the insurance company were more than happy to let me they said you have to get it there some how.I asked if I could ride it after it passing the MOT wile I wait for the reg he said I can't see why not just carry your paperwork with you and don't take the piss.
I won't honest  ;) 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 07:39:34 AM »
Legally you can ride/drive to and from a PRE BOOKED MOT with no plates on chassis number insurance but not anywhere else as it is not a vehicle till registered, it does not say the nearest MOT station so in theory you could live in Southend and MOT it in Glasgow

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:28 PM »
Hooray after my inspection on Wednesday DVLA have issued me an age related plate so once my plate arrives and some decent weather Henry the Honda as my bike has been christened can see some road 😀😀😀😀😀😀

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 09:36:11 AM »
Legally you can ride/drive to and from a PRE BOOKED MOT with no plates on chassis number insurance but not anywhere else as it is not a vehicle till registered, it does not say the nearest MOT station so in theory you could live in Southend and MOT it in Glasgow

I did a long one once. Came across a Ram 350 camper in Greece, put the V5 in my name, drove it back to the UK with a hole in the exhaust that you could get your fist in. Off the ferry in dover, got pulled for no tax disc and MOT, explained to the officer that I could not tax the camper without a MOT and it was booked in the next day at my mates in Milton Keynes.
2,234 miles to a MOT station  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal