Author Topic: Engine Seals and gaskets  (Read 1084 times)

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Engine Seals and gaskets
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:04:44 AM »
Its now engine rebuild time!
I've had a rebore with new pistons, new camchain and primary chain, new big and shells, tensioner blade etc. and I've freed off the tensioner horseshoe, all threads are good on the adjuster bolt. I'm rebuilding the oil pump now. Everything has been cleaned and blown out with an airline. I'm gathering everything for my engine rebuild and after trawling through these pages I've decided to buy a genuine Head gasket from DSS. Has anyone info on the best gaskets, and a genuine seal kit please, and a supplier ?

Any other pearls of wisdom before I tackle the job  ?
Anyone local who can check the bottom end before I bolt it all together ?

Thanks
Steve

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Seals and gaskets
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:49:15 AM »
No such thing as a genuine seal kit, you have to buy them all seperate, as to gaskets if DSS sells them they ought to be OK

Offline andut

• SOHC Member
  • CB400F, CB400F Cafe & NC30
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
Steve,

I used a Vesrah kit from Saisei when I built my 400 engine - I didn't realise at the time, but David who runs Saisei is a member on here, so maybe worth a PM.  All gaskets appeared good quality and have given me no issues so far. 

I got all of my oil seals and O rings as OE from DSS - bare in mind that the gasket kit will probably not give you all of the O Rings you need and from memory I think I had to get the majority of the main oil gallery and oil pump related O rings individually and probably a few others - again it's probably worth a PM to David if you're considering the Vesrah kit to check which O rings are in the set and then you can plan for the others - nothing worse than stalling a rebuild whilst waiting for a part !

Good luck with your rebuild !

Andy

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
Its the crankcase seals that I really need. I was given a few genuine seals, o rings and gaskets with the bike, I think the only seals I'm missing are the crankcase ones, I've already rebuilt the oil pump so that's done. Likewise gaskets, I have a few of them so I may only need the odd one and a genuine head gasket. This morning I was looking at DSS for OE seals but he doesn't appear to have all of the seals listed as genuine parts, some are pattern.
Also the genuine ones are not all in stock either. Saisei is not far from me, I've already met him but I don't really need a full gasket kit.

Thanks
Steve
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:09:16 PM by stevush »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal