Author Topic: DID Chain  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Dave1234

• View Profile
DID Chain
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:29:53 PM »
Hi all, just brought a new DID chain and JT sprockets for the 550, question is the chain dosen't have the old u shape clip, it comes with four o rings. Is this now a compression joint? If so what do you compress it with.

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: DID Chain
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »
Ideally you'll need a proper chain tool that will compress, and then 'preen' (is that the right word??) the rivets over a little to keep the link in place. Not a difficult job to do with the right tool.

My only piece of advice would be when compressing the side plate of the link on, use a vernier gauge to compare the thickness of the other links so you know when you have it just right. Then it won't be to slack or too tight. I got that little gem from another member on here.  ;)

Alan
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

Offline Dave1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »
Okay cheers Alan, next question where do I find the compression tool?

So if it is compressed on and the rivets rounded over (preened) what happens when you want to take the wheel out again (say if you get a puncture) and need to take the chain off.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 08:08:41 PM »
With a continuous chain you'd normally withdraw the wheel spindle and move the wheel as far forward as possible then pull the chain off the sprocket and move it sideways to the left, most bikes you can hook it onto the chain adjuster bolt to keep it out of the way while you remove and work on the wheel.

Refit is just the reverse of wheel as far into the swingarm as poss, pull the chain out and drop onto sprocket,  then pull wheel back into position to put spindle in.

There's a rogue r in that "preening " as it should be peening of the rivets.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »
I peen the rivetts with a ball peen hammer against a small ( 5kg ) anvil, but as a blacksmith that appeals to me more than yet another tool. With expirience it is possible to get it so as not to be too tight or loose. I do sometimes resort to removing the swing arm to fit the chain as a continuos one, especially if it has not been removed recently, helps double check everything is thouroughly greased and not wearing unevenly or anything untoward, and if it is then I like a good bit of notice to start hunting for spares before it becomes a problem.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:37 PM »
Before fitting check case clearance, some o ring chains are too wide and cause damage.

Offline Krzychu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »
Hi there, I bought DID chain and JT sprockets for my Nighthawk too. Now waiting for the tool that Mick has advised. I wonder if its really a Sealey tool, seems very cheap. I went and asked at my local tools shop that sells Sealey and they sell them at £40, he even told me that they pay £28 for them. Anyway, we shall see when it comes 😉

LwG

LwG✋

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 11:35:12 PM »
Its not a genuine Sealey tool but exactly the same as I have one of each as I lost a few bits from the Sealey one
They both came in exactly the same blow molded cases and are interchangable.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Krzychu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »
That's good, as long as it does the job I'll be happy with it 😃

LwG

LwG✋

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal