Author Topic: Motad Replacement Downpipe  (Read 1893 times)

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Motad Replacement Downpipe
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:39:21 PM »
I've recently fitted a replacement downpipe supplied by Motad to cylinder 4. After approx 400 miles, the pipe has taken on a brown tinge and there is mottling to the top of the pipe.

After contacting Motad, they have told me that is unavoidable due to the new pipe being stainless steel and the older replacement downpipes are mild steel.

Has anyone else had this problem? If this is a known "feature" of their pipes, I would advise anyone thinking about fitting them to bear this in mind as it completely ruins the look of pipework.

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Motad Replacement Downpipe
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:51:15 PM »
I have these pipes fitted and think it would be normal for them to turn a bit brown near the cylinders. They are not double skinned like the original, a rub with autosolve should clean them quite easily Mine are too new to really comment on how much they would do this, perhaps Chris or someone else who has them on long term could comment. Looking at your bike it seems to be concentrated on one pipe, did you clean the others? If not it could be that particular pipe is not as resistant as the rest or the cylinder is running hotter than the other three.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »
Yep thats normall for stainless pipes change the other three and no one will be any the wiser
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline ted_paper

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 07:27:16 PM »
I have these pipes fitted and think it would be normal for them to turn a bit brown near the cylinders. They are not double skinned like the original, a rub with autosolve should clean them quite easily Mine are too new to really comment on how much they would do this, perhaps Chris or someone else who has them on long term could comment. Looking at your bike it seems to be concentrated on one pipe, did you clean the others? If not it could be that particular pipe is not as resistant as the rest or the cylinder is running hotter than the other three.

The problem is that the whole downpipe is "discoloured" - from the head all the way to the collector box which is apparently normal for stainless steel
The other three pipes are from an aftermarket replacement set bought approx 3 years ago - the outside pipe was recently damaged and replaced and this is the one that is made from stainless steel.I would be very disappointed if I had purchased a full set and they all went this way...

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 07:18:48 AM »
I have a stainless motad on my 750F2 simply because originals are no longer available. After only 500 miles they were brown right down to the collector box across all 4 pipes. Got to admit it really spoils the look of the bike.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 06:02:45 PM »
I think some chromers will chrome stainless steel so maybe that could be an option

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal