Author Topic: Alternative 4-4 exhaust  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Alternative 4-4 exhaust
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:05 PM »
Saw these on a bike in Italy and also on ebay.fr. Not sure what baffles (if any) but probably sound throaty and re-jetting required. May be a cheaper alternative and especially for K3 if it helps anyone.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/HONDA-MARMITTE-ROMBO-PER-CB500-FOUR-K0-K1-K2-/311602815433

Phil
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative 4-4 exhaust
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
Italy (and Spain?) used to have several manufacturers like Sito, Busso, MIVV and Mecadapo. They also had muflers that could slip on the headers and made it effectively a 4 - 2 exhaust system. Marmitte and silenziatore are Italian words for exhausts. Mecadapo looked like this on a CB550K3: http://www.cmsnl.com/community/vehicles/Honda/CB_550_K3/1978/1910.html
MIVV on a CB350F looked and sounded like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nvtzcI6LwI

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 02:16:02 PM »
Marmite exhausts? Love em or hate em.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 09:11:13 PM »
Not sure if still available but Custom Fastners catalouge used to feature some nice looking tulip style slip ons that might just look the part on a 500 or 550, provided you want to spend out on 4 @ £65 each, and find good downpipes. Personally I tend to search ebay for cheap systems that keep me legal. I might alter my outlook now I have a car and driving licence and don't have to subject the bikes to the ravages of winter riding.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Rob.b (Rob Birkett - RIP)

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »
Not sure if still available but Custom Fastners catalouge used to feature some nice looking tulip style slip ons that might just look the part on a 500 or 550, provided you want to spend out on 4 @ £65 each, and find good downpipes. Personally I tend to search ebay for cheap systems that keep me legal. I might alter my outlook now I have a car and driving licence and don't have to subject the bikes to the ravages of winter riding.

I made up this set of Four into Four pipes using the tulip pipes referred to by Mathew,  I eventually got them quiet enough with expanding acoustic exhaust fill and a few home made baffles.  I am quite pleased with the result and bike runs fine - no mixture issues.

I thought I'd share.

Rob [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline LesH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 04:27:31 PM »
Well done you......... I've only just seen this post and I've always thought it can't be beyond the wit of man to come up with a way of saving solid downpipes and cutting off rotten silencers......... and you are that man, you've proved it !
Looking at the Classic Bike Shop site I'm guessing that you've used the Bonneville silencers and cobbled up some bracketry  ?   (Beats spending 800 odd quid for iffy replacements).  And they don't look out of place.
  PS Like that number plate !!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:02:32 PM by LesH »
1975 CB500/4 K2
1963 C200

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:00:51 PM »
They look the biz, tell us what they're off.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »
 A quick google reveals my local stockist is still trading, but seems to throw up a different address to what I've known for the last 10 years, custom fastners, Newtown, Powys. They are primerily mail order but used to do over the counter too, though I heard that was getting scaled back. I mostly used them for stainless brake lines as I was able to bring bits in to check threads if in doubt, plus handy for getting odd sized bolts - only place in town who don't panic about wierd inperial thread sizes, or flat out refuse to deal with them.
I never bought the exhausts shown above but they did look very good in the display cabinet. I also fitted their rear shockers to a few of my cb500 and 550s over the years, always been good quality and service and knowledgable staff there.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Rob.b (Rob Birkett - RIP)

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »
Looking at the Classic Bike Shop site I'm guessing that you've used the Bonneville silencers and cobbled up some bracketry  ?   (Beats spending 800 odd quid for iffy replacements).  And they don't look out of place.
  PS Like that number plate !!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I think they look better than the originals; no nasty welding seam at the top. 

I used two of these:        http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/tulip-u-s-custom-mufflers.html

Two of these:                  http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/tulip-u-s-customs-36mm-44mm.html

And four of these:           http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/1-3-4-44mm-exhaust-kick-up.html

The owner of the shop (Mike I think his name was) gave me a nice discount and even got four reducing sleeves made so that they fitted onto the standard down pipes.

Here is a picture of the baffles I made for each pipe:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Now I know they are a bit crude, and I'm a bit embarrassed to post them on this site cos' I reckon there are some sh*t hot engineers on here, so please forgive me.

They were still too noisy so I have put in extra baffle a bit like the principal of a Supertrapp silencer and reduced the outlet area to something more like the standard 285mm2 pr cylinder. Its also now got some acoustic packing in the perforated tube.

It runs and sounds great with nice straw coloured plugs, the only thing it doesn't like is slow speeds on a constant and small throttle opening, when it 'eight strokes' and just wont behave.

Now about that number plate: You too can have a personalised number plate just like me .......  get Photoshop. Yep its a cheat  :)

Cheers

Rob 

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:10:00 PM by Rob.b »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal