Author Topic: PD carb query  (Read 2911 times)

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
PD carb query
« on: May 28, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »
Please could someone with PD carbs have a look at their No1 carb and tell me if there should be a small brass blanking plug or similar in the small hole in the side of my carb, it's in the centre of the photo below and you can see a light coloured vapour mark on the carb body just below it, my tickover dropped earlier today, I just squirted carb cleaner in the small balance pipes in the back of the carb and it came out of that hole, it's never done that before! 😀.

PS I can see the same feature on the No2 carb, squirting carb cleaner in No2 does not result in it coming out of the side, so the question now is should it?, are these holes vents to atmosphere to achieve a balance between the intake and atmosphere?, maybe?, confused at present.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:24:32 PM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: PD carb query
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »
Just had a look at some on F2 750 and they are different in that the part you are looking at has a much longer nose sticking out on the example here to about 10\15mm further than yours.

I can't quite see inside the casting to give an accurate idea of what's in there and the photo I've taken is in shadow down inside there, will try to investigate further.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »
Still can't get camera flash and lens to point down the casting hole to get you a picture,  but if I put a tube onto that hole you can pull a vacuum on it and it flows no air so on that basis it should be sealed as far as I can see.

Hope that helps.

Nigel.

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »
Thanks Nigel, it's odd the way that the casting slightly "hoods" the hole, like it's supposed to be open, I'll see if I can find a diagram that shows it.

PS I don't think the answer to my question is in the link below but it is a brilliant how to on PD carbs.

http://www.motopsyco.com/2013/08/09/vintage-piston-valve-keihin-carburetor-overhaul/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:30:49 PM by MarkCR750 »
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 08:30:25 PM »
It's good when people go to that effort to show others through something.

I know there's not alot of people like the PD carbs as they are fiddly to work with but they did work well originally in my experience, I also think they are definitely the right philosophy in that they run under constant load with a leaner mix and just richen for the acceleration demand. Means you get less fuel unburnt to contaminate the oil along with probably less bore wear.

This is after all what weber twin chokes on cars do and the American pumper carbs on older V8s which nobody complains about.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:38:45 PM »
It's good when people go to that effort to show others through something.

I know there's not alot of people like the PD carbs as they are fiddly to work with but they did work well originally in my experience, I also think they are definitely the right philosophy in that they run under constant load with a leaner mix and just richen for the acceleration demand. Means you get less fuel unburnt to contaminate the oil along with probably less bore wear.

This is after all what weber twin chokes on cars do and the American pumper carbs on older V8s which nobody complains about.
Compared to PD carbs, the old Holley's on my mustang many years ago were great, you could probably use a broom handle to clean jets, and the accelerator pump could probably pump the titanic out to refloat it in about 10 pumps!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 09:09:02 PM »
One of life's great pleasures, sitting behind a nice V8 with the throttle wide open.

I've never owned a big yank V8 but spent alot of time with rovers and currently have a 3.9 on injection in a old Range Rover.

Offline onethumb

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 02:02:01 PM »
Dude they some of the cleanest pd carbs I've seen. Mine are in a box and don't look that clean!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"20 in a 40 is not safe driving"

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
Dude they some of the cleanest pd carbs I've seen. Mine are in a box and don't look that clean!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's cos yours aren't painted 😄
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Greebo

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »
Hi Mark

I have been fiddling with my carbs for while & used plenty of carb cleaner as you , but I have not had any leakage of any kind from the very small hole that you are asking about. on my carbs that small hole looks like its sealed.

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 04:32:51 PM »
I've googled it a fair bit but can't find anything , I actually think they should be open to atmosphere, that's because of the way the alloy is moulded above the hole,  like a hood, really not sure though , I'll do some more googling.
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 06:29:29 PM »
Please could someone with PD carbs have a look at their No1 carb and tell me if there should be a small brass blanking plug or similar in the small hole in the side of my carb, it's in the centre of the photo below and you can see a light coloured vapour mark on the carb body just below it, my tickover dropped earlier today, I just squirted carb cleaner in the small balance pipes in the back of the carb and it came out of that hole, it's never done that before! 😀.

PS I can see the same feature on the No2 carb, squirting carb cleaner in No2 does not result in it coming out of the side, so the question now is should it?, are these holes vents to atmosphere to achieve a balance between the intake and atmosphere?, maybe?, confused at present.

There is a piece of alloy that looks like a tube connector missing off yours. The butcher has been at work there. I will try and get a usable photo of mine if I can. It should defo be blanked and not leaking.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »
Managed to find a picture of mine, you can just see the tube type alloy piece here. All 4 carbs have a similar thing between 1&2 and 3&4 that face each other and look like they were at one time connected with a pipe, these have a brass insert to blank them. Only carb 1 has this extra hose fitting on the outside. It is completely sealed and the casting has never been drilled. Hope that helps.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:41:59 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 06:43:46 PM »
Harrisluv from the US site has spoken, looks like its specific to the 77 model, thanks for your replies all
HARRISLUV
On the 77 PD carbs, there is no vent tubing between the carbs.  Instead, each carb has its own individual vent hole.  It's really tiny.  It should be clear and open.
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »
I don't agree with that. My carbs in that picture are PD41B circa 1977 F2. The later carbs are PD42B circa 1978 onwards (possibly K7 1977). The bodies on both the F2 & K7 are the same just the jetting is different. That nozzle casting on mine has never been drilled and is airtight. Defo not a vent of any kind, the vents I believe are the 4 inner tubes facing each other.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:52:12 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal