Author Topic: Off the line issues - is this a clutch issue?  (Read 876 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Off the line issues - is this a clutch issue?
« on: June 02, 2016, 04:30:17 PM »
Hi All,
Just got my 500 back on the road and all is running well, timing spot on, mixture and jets all good. She runs overall really well but for one niggly issue.

When pulling away in first initial take up is great but when clutch lever gets around half way out she nearly stalls and she then sort of jumps. Upping revs a bit and more clutch shipping helps but basically take off from stding os not great.  It feels a bit  like a link jumping on the chain but I know it isn't.

I did notice when rebuilding clutch that the plates were tight in the basket and my theory is that the plates may be catching on re-engaging at 1/2 way point and then jumping.

I repeat fuelling is spot on, clutch cable is properly adjusted and timing and valve clearances all also sppot on.

Before I go hunting down new clutch bits does anyone think my theory sounds sensible and can anyone think of a way to check further unintusively to help my diagnosis
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Off the line issues - is this a clutch issue?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »
Clutch plates should be free in the basket but also look at the operating mechanism as the outer can crack and cause binding plus needs lots of grease.
Normally the 500 will slip the clutch at take off any way, my first one did that for years but never wore the plates out!!

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Re: Off the line issues - is this a clutch issue?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 05:43:48 AM »
Hi Oddjob
Pushrods is new and worm drive is ok as checked and cleaned on rebuild

Certain this is a basket issue and now I think back at one point trying to unseize her I tried levering the basket and pretty sure may have ended up slightly warping one of the blades hence the plates felt tight going back in

You live and learn - won't try that one again!!!

Anyway sent you a pm re your kind offer

If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal