Author Topic: dyno run video  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
dyno run video
« on: June 07, 2016, 07:12:32 AM »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: dyno run video
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 07:34:04 AM »
I don't know why people do this. A friend has a dyno set up and blows up at least one engine a week. It is the shock on the customers face when this all goes wrong and Ralph just says, well you just paid me to do it.
If I want to go faster, I take out a faster bike ;)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 09:04:02 AM »
That video is scary. Unless your blowing 100 mph cold air over the front of the bike it's going to drastically overheat. BOOM. Utter madness using those cheap diy Dyno's. Spoke to a guy who uses similar gear about it, he said almost the same as Trigger one engine a fortnight. Decided not to bother at that point.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »
Completely agree with Roy and Trigger. If you are racing competitively that's one thing - in which case use a proper dyno with proper engine cooling facilities. I shudder at running an air cooled motor like this without proper cooling, Recipe fpr disaster.

I personally prefer to work with restored originality  and if the bike is running well generally and used for sunny days out and classic shows why risk blowing it up for 5 Hp

If you are classic racing or a power fiend fine by me but use the right equipment and manage risk.

Just my personal view
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 10:30:37 AM »
What is scary about that run or did I miss something? When I did mine, I was surprised to learn that just a small pipe blowing air (and not even that much) was enough.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »
What you may have missed DeltaRider was the one engine per week destroyed (one per fortnight-ish with my local guy). The difference between these dyno's and real pro kit is considerable and so is the price to use them. They also give very little rolling resistance which allows the revs to rise super rapidly.

Watched them doing a bike at my local place in Bispham, and trust me it's scary. If you want it doing, there's a disclaimer to sign and you pay him upfront (only £75 inc VAT though). But the paying upfront bit says it all to me.

I agree with PaulBaker in that unless you race all your getting is a piece of paper to prove HP. Possibly knowing your fuelling is right and the engine is running the best it can be is an attractive proposition that why I was there. But I decided not to bother after witnessing a dyno run for myself.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:04:52 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 08:42:19 PM »
Yeah guys like I said frightening. ..
You cannot see but that has an enormous fan blowing in the front...I actually asked him to give it some on the third run...which that vid was..He said what if it let's go...
Quite honestly I would rather it went on that than down the a3...
That was at 9500 revs ish...and was enough about red line on a standard bike and this bike had class records at santa pod in the 70's it will rev higher but that pipe makes it sound unbelivably loud .and i admit curiosity got the better of me..
Don't panic it won't be doing it again ...it will however be back on to sort the mixture as it's very very rich
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:53:41 PM by Woodside »

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 09:39:09 PM »
Great Video!! and yes you can not see the Fan, but you can heard it!!!
Regards.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal