Author Topic: Trouble mounting new HM 323 pipes  (Read 7196 times)

Offline MeilakJ

• SOHC Member
  • Life is what you make it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble mounting new HM 323 pipes
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2016, 11:55:44 PM »
I have just installed a new set on my bike Cb550. They were from CMS.

They did not come exactly perfect where they join together at the rear but I still managed to connect the rubber and clip.

Overall I am quite happy with the fitment as I have kept in mind that these are reproduction. As allways in my experience you cannot expect that any reproduced part be as exact as an original.

Hope my info helps

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2016, 06:55:31 AM »
Hope my info helps
How did you mount them? Did you have to tweak the brackets?  Have you measured them as Ash has?

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2016, 07:23:50 AM »
Hope my info helps
How did you mount them? Did you have to tweak the brackets?  Have you measured them as Ash has?

Fitted mine yesterday and with Ash's helpful measurements, was able to get a better fit this time. Left side lines up beautifully, right side still out but only by 3-4mm.

This is what I did in the end to make the repro brackets work -

- bent the lower exhaust brackets using a vice so they measured up the same as Ash's. The repro ones have two faint lines pressed into them where they start to curve. Using the lower line (closer to the two holes), place the bracket into a vice up to this line and then bend the bracket gently (applying pressure to the middle area) until it measures 65mm.

- I also drilled the top hole of the lower bracket (where it mounts onto the foot peg) larger to give more vertical movement. Not a massive amount of movement so as to bend the pipes or apply undue pressure. This helped when lining up the rubber tube.

- When fitting the bracket for the for the top mufflers, no need to bend them but add a spacer or two between bracket and frame ~ 1-2mm. This helped bring the top mufflers in line.

- I took a tip from this thread about not tightening up any bolts until the system is in place, any then gradually tightening them so you can see if there is any misalignment.

- Sounds daft, but use new exhaust gaskets. Even if you think the old ones are still good.

As I said, not 100% perfect on the right side but a lot better than my previous attempt.

And sorry, no pictures of the mods. I should have taken some but it was a little Heath Robinson on the go, I was fighting time as my daughter had a party, my wife was pestering me about what time is was (every 10mins) and I was trying to hold a cup of tea in one hand!  ;)

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask for more info.

Alan
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:28:14 AM by Honda Al »
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »
Thanks Al, but I did not get what part of the bracket was held by the vise. I wonder how close your pipe #2 is to the sidestand bolt and nut.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:27:23 PM by deltarider »

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2016, 04:56:51 PM »
Thanks Al, but I did not get what part of the bracket was held by the vise. I wonder how close your pipe #2 is to the sidestand bolt and nut.

Using DSS picture -

You see the two faint lines pressed into the bracket? At the end where two holes are for the exhaust studs? Place the bracket in the vice (two holes end) up to the first line.

The clearance for pipe two is tight, ~ 4-5mm, but no movement and it doesn't look like it'll touch.
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2016, 06:51:13 PM »
Thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal