Author Topic: Trouble mounting new HM 323 pipes  (Read 7194 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble mounting new HM 323 pipes
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 06:26:32 AM »
That's interesting Ash the factvthatvthe DS and CMS instructions are the same would confirm they use the same manufacturer a fact I had long suspected
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 07:03:34 AM »
I doubt very much that more than one firm would tool up to make these

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 07:16:21 AM »
I can vouch for that.

The dreadful pattern exhausts for the CB350F were all the same. I had exhausts from three different suppliers and they were all bad. Sent them all back in the end.

Strangely these exhausts seem to have disappeared now. I hope they are going to redo them as it was just the welding that was crap.

The pressings were good and the chroming was top notch, got to wonder why they went to all that effort to chrome horrible welds. CMSL told me they had hundreds of units and they were all the same. Wonder if they thought they could get away with it.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 07:30:31 AM »
That's interesting Ash the factvthatvthe DS and CMS instructions are the same would confirm they use the same manufacturer a fact I had long suspected

The CMS boxes are the give away with a DS sticker on, Paul.  ;) ;) . Thing is that I won't be fitting them  yet and  if there is a problem when I do, I reckon DS would still sort it out whereas I have had bad reports about returns to CMS. e.g. Saisei had bad fitting 400/4 downpipes from them but had to get me to confirm there was a fitting issue before they would consider  refunding him. May be something to do with  trader-to-trader transactions but still sounds a bit sh*tty customer service to me. Having said that in all my years of restoring Honda's I have never bought a single item from CMS so they could be great for all I know.

The puzzle to me on the 500 exhaust is that DS kept rejecting them as not being fit for sale but CMS were selling them. I wonder if Roy's experience comes in here. i.e CMS possibly sold the ones of early manufacture that DS would not accept. 'Coastpath' on eBay used to work for CMS BTW, that's why you see him selling prototypes unchromed etc. He is in Wales but everything is shipped from a warehouse in Holland!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:39:07 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 07:38:12 AM »
I have bought parts from CMS but strangely Suzuki parts and never had a problem

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 07:40:12 AM »
I have bought parts from CMS but strangely Suzuki parts and never had a problem

Have you ever had to return anything Bryan?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 07:58:41 AM »
Nope, everything arrived correct

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »
I'll keep you updated on my progress with CMS regarding the leaky muffler. So far, so good and they replied back quickly asking for photos.
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »
I'll keep you updated on my progress with CMS regarding the leaky muffler. So far, so good and they replied back quickly asking for photos.

Photos have been passed onto the suppliers for comment.
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2016, 07:26:01 PM »
I ordered a kick starter return spring from CMS for the 500/4 about two years ago, only to find on unpacking it that it was completely different to the one fitted and also the one shown on their parts drawing. Return was no problem and they identified a packaging issue, i.e. wrong spring, correct box.

I was offered a refund or the option to wait for a new part, which was the route that I took. In the meantime, John Wyatt sent me a used spring from a bike that he was preparing for track use, where the kick starter would not be needed.

The correct spring from CMS arrived about two weeks later, so I now have a spare in case it happens again!

I have, over the years bought quite a lot from CMS and found them always happy to talk over the telephone, with a named contact in case of problems after their returns procedure has been initiated.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 09:45:50 AM »
Back to the subject. Ashimoto and others, are you sure that every CB500 Four is supposed to have the brackets on in- and outside of the frame eye? Reason I ask is that this morning I phoned with one of the SOHC Four shops in Holland. When I asked the mechanic for advise, he told me to mount the exhausts so that both in front they sit well as in the rear have the tubes close enough (obvious). 'If that means both brackets are on the outside, so be it.' He added that sometimes he himself and in spite of mounting newly ordered brackets, had to have them both on the outside. What's your experience?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:25:51 AM by deltarider »

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
Back to the subject. Ashimoto and others, are you sure that every CB500 Four is supposed to have the brackets on in- and outside of the frame eye? Reason I ask is that this morning I phoned with one of the SOHC Four shops in Holland. When I asked the mechanic for advise, he told me to mount the exhausts so that both in front they sit well as in the rear have the tubes close enough (obvious). 'If that means both brackets are on the outside, so be it.' He added that sometimes he himself and in spite of mounting newly ordered brackets, had to have them both on the outside. What's your experience?

I did try this when I was stuggling and it didn't make any difference. They still didn't line up!

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »
Did I miss the point here? Just fit it whatever way it fits best surely.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2016, 04:16:40 PM »
What does the abbrevation TBH mean? To be honest?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 04:22:29 PM by deltarider »

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2016, 04:49:25 PM »
Yep!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal