Author Topic: Spare coils cb550?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Spare coils cb550?
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:09:25 PM »
Hi all,

My Dyna coils have fried and will be going through the warranty process to get new ones.  Anyone have a spare set of coils they could lend/sell me for cheap to keep me going in the interim?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Spare coils cb550?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 10:49:11 PM »
This ones for Ash I think. Do you have a guide for fitting new HT leads to coils as my leads on the F are hard and cracking? The leads are formed to a tight bend at the exit of the coils and I am afraid to move them here. Joining pieces for HT leads seem pricey.

Plus, has anyone used Z650 coils or similar as they seem to have replaceable leads and will they fit if I make new mounting brackets? I still have points ignition.
Thanks
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 12:24:57 AM »
Promised MrT that I will finish my write-up over weekend and post on here.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline ginger_jim

• SOHC Member
  • Anyone for a Guinness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:35:39 AM »
Some interesting information here about coils.  Might be useful when/if you get your coils back from Dyna.

http://sohc4shop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=44&osCsid=3040cb8e35824a5359717d5955332346

Hondaman is internationally recognised as an expert, he certainly makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:37:57 AM by ginger_jim »

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:57:20 AM »
I've read that before - I bought the 5 ohm dyna coils because of the low alternator output and I intend to use them with the Dyna - S. I also converted every light to LED to reduce the draw on the system.

Offline ginger_jim

• SOHC Member
  • Anyone for a Guinness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:42:30 AM »
Its all a bit of a nightmare isnt it!  You can see why people the world over recommend running standard ignition components, but equally its easy to understand why people are tempted by promises of (relatively) maintenance free ignition systems. 

Sounds to me like you've done your homework and in theory everything should be fine, but I guess this is all part and parcel of running an old four.  Blood, sweat and tears!  Oh and of course lots of money!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »
Will deffo have the writeup  done on standard coil refurb. Just building up a test circuit. My take on it is that the weak link is the PVC outer on the HT leads. The 'coils' themselves are extremely reliable. With age the PVC hardens really badly and the inner core fatigues. This happens even on low mileage bikes.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »
Will deffo have the writeup  done on standard coil refurb. Just building up a test circuit. My take on it is that the weak link is the PVC outer on the HT leads. The 'coils' themselves are extremely reliable. With age the PVC hardens really badly and the inner core fatigues. This happens even on low mileage bikes.
That's exactly what has happened with my leads - the PCV has cracked down to the core right at the point where the lead enters the coil. 

The coils themselves test perfectly good.  Primary resistance tests bang on 5.0 ohms, secondary resistance is between 15.3k-14.7k ohms, continuity between primary circuit, no continuity between primary to secondary.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »
Its all a bit of a nightmare isnt it!  You can see why people the world over recommend running standard ignition components, but equally its easy to understand why people are tempted by promises of (relatively) maintenance free ignition systems. 

Sounds to me like you've done your homework and in theory everything should be fine, but I guess this is all part and parcel of running an old four.  Blood, sweat and tears!  Oh and of course lots of money!
Definitely money!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal