Author Topic: Mirror vibration Prevention?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Mirror vibration Prevention?
« on: June 19, 2016, 12:51:45 AM »
Anyone any tips to help me see behind me above around 6k rpm

All I get is a blurry view of the world behind

I was thinking of some kind of vibration insulation below the mirror mounts but as they are screwed in to the bars not sure if that would help

How about rubber around the handlebar mounts ie under the idiot panel
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror vibration Prevention?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 06:51:45 AM »
It's normal for our bikes. When cruising I always choose rpm so that vibes just have disappeared. Engine happy, mirrors happy, me happy. You can cruise for hours on end at 6500-7000.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 08:23:58 AM »
Only way I know of to stop the vibration is don't start the engine

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 09:17:14 AM »
Years ago (1970's) I bought some rubber mounts for my mirrors, they screw into the normal mirror mounting points and then you attach the mirrors, not perfect but better than standard. I took them off the bike when I was rebuilding it as they looked a bit tat but soon put them back on !!
There must be something more modern out there somewhere.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
It is for this reason that I have always taken mirrors off every bike I've owned.  Look over shoulder instead. :-)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 12:27:04 PM »
Have a ride on a Honda 180 degree crank twin then jump on your 500  .. you will forget the vibration  :)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 12:50:06 PM »
yes Ash.  Things that fell off my 350 through vibration, all of which was firmly attached when I set off:

Rear light and number plate! (somewhere on the way back from NEC? )
Silencer! (at high speed, hit wheel and flew into a field, luckily no one died)
Tool box lid!
Side panels!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 02:42:19 PM »
I always found my 550 and 500 very smooth, but then that may be that I just tended to push on through the vibration or slow down a bit. The vast bulk of my milage was on the 500 and that had a sidecar so may just have been reving that bit more or less and avoided it, or the sidecar acted as a damper. I think the mirrors on the 550 may just have had some sort of extra joint in them( possibly the anti vibration feature mentioned earlier), looked ugly but those who know me and my attitude to bikes will know cosmetics never bothered me, other thing was both bikes had non standard handle bars, a bit high up / ammerican custom inspired. Only thing I altered was a lockable boot on the sidecar and removal of most of the gold paint on my 550 that had been crudely slapped over any rusty chrome, and only after it started flaking off the crashbars in big chunks.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »
I always found my 550 and 500 very smooth, but then that may be that I just tended to push on through the vibration or slow down a bit.
Yep, that's how I do it. Had those socalled vibrationdampers too but never noticed much difference.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 04:57:23 PM »
If that is why I found them smooth it was subconcious, I was only aware of vibration if rolling the throttle open in too high a gear on the 550, and that made the clocks and everything else shake like mad. I get the same off our Citroen berlingo run arounds. With those you use a lower gear, smooths it out and reduces fuel consumption, and is faster.
Thinking sideways a bit, thd cb500 sidecar that never exhibited the shakes at all also ran a k&n filter that retained the stock phenem chamber and doubtless bigger jets and a very free flowing exhaust, power was I think up a fair bit as a result of this, not that it ever went near a dyno, but the ease with which I could open a throttle and send it sideways suggests to me it was sporting more gg's than when I put a stock cb550 engine and filter setup in, though I dont recall vibration being an issue it was not as smooth a feeling machine - might be the fact it was getting very worn elsewhere, might be the different jetting or engine capacity. Do the experts on re jetting feel it might say coincyde with a flat point in jetting / power. I have never done much with carbs, I tend to think of them as too much trouble to tamper with.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal