Author Topic: new member with a cb125s  (Read 1917 times)

Offline wrighty

• View Profile
new member with a cb125s
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:51:25 PM »
Hi everyone I'm mark from a little village called edwinstowe in Nottinghamshire. I purchased a complete basket case up in April this year as I'm a big fan of hondas having had quite a few in the past. This bike was in a complete bad state but mainly just surface rust. The bike came with plenty of spares so I had lots of salvagable parts. The engine though was seized so it was completely striped and fully rebuilt with new crank and 190cc oversize kit.....

This is the bike when I collected it

And then at home in my shed

Few spares

Ok how it looks now...minus exhaust and drive chain

190cc cylinder left....125cc cylinder to right

If anyone could give me advice about setting points and ignition timing I'd be most grateful...

Thanks

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: new member with a cb125s
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 05:41:41 AM »
All honda points are set at 0.35mm or 14 thou when on the top of the cam and should open as the "F" mark on the alternator lines up with the static mark on the case, if a battery ignition best way to tell this is with a bulb connected accross the points spring and ground so the bulb lights up as the points open, if not battery use a multimeter to measure resistance which goes infinite as the points open

Offline wrighty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:21 AM »
All honda points are set at 0.35mm or 14 thou when on the top of the cam and should open as the "F" mark on the alternator lines up with the static mark on the case, if a battery ignition best way to tell this is with a bulb connected accross the points spring and ground so the
 bulb lights up as the points open, if not battery use a multimeter to measure resistance which goes infinite as the points open

Thanks for the advice....

1 question does the points plate have to be moved to a specific place or lined up anywhere

Thanks

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:10:22 AM »
Hi Mark

My first bike was a CB125S...

Can you sort out the links for your pictures? I'd like to see them.

There has been discussion on here before about the 180cc kits that were sold in the 70's. My room-mate at Uni had one in 1978 - they were seriously under-engineered  :(

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 10:30:03 AM »
I had one of those and it was brilliant fun to ride.  Later I had another and it kept overheating and seizing.  I didn't ever find out what it was but I suspect the camshaft bearing was worn causing the timing to be all over the place.

Extraordinary restoration job you have done, I admire your courage.  Welcome to the forum.

S
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:32:10 AM by florence »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »
Set gap first then move points plate to set timing BUT recheck gap as plate is rarely a tight fit in casing, usually takes 3 or 4 resetings to get both correct at same time

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 10:38:25 AM »
if you don't have a bulb and a wire then a transistor radio (not digital) tuned between stations (so all you can hear is white noise) will emit a click sound as the points open.  not joking, it's brilliant.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
Nice job on that bike, very brave to take that on. My cousin (2nd time removed) did a 100cc version of one of those up last year as his first bike, thanks to the bad influence of visiting me and having a go on my old Rebel 125. I know very little about these bikes but might be able to get a few pointers if you get stuck though he is still learning himself, and answers do get lost in translation. Seems you have some decent advice now anyway so hopefully will be up and running.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal