Author Topic: winter? project, CB250RSD  (Read 1525 times)

jimv50

winter? project, CB250RSD
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »
Offered to me originally for E1000, then down to E600, so why not. In sound original condition, seized caliper(CX500 caliper and disc will be bought soon) and the usual knackered chain and sprockets. A good bit of surface rust on the frame and tired looking paint on the engine which can all be dealt with in time. Coke and tinfoil works really well on old chrome, would not have believed it until I tried it.
I won't be restoring it, just a good tidy up and sell it on to someone else.
I never had one before, did have the big fat sister Superdream 250 as a winter hack and IOM thrasher/paddock bike which I ended up giving to my brother asa get to work bike.

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: winter? project, CB250RSD
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 11:08:33 PM »
Always fancied one of those, they seem great for everyday use plus a bit of fun when pushed a bit. Far better than the fat sister as you say.

I asume coke and tin foil is not a fancy way of takiing your favoured drug!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:07:14 AM »
Can have gearbox problems but not all of them, need clean oil and thrashing. Why fit cx caliper, just unsieze that one

jimv50

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 07:49:32 PM »
well the bleed nipple is snapped off anyway, and in spite of great care with a set of extractors no movement was detected. I can always drill and tap a new one in and keep it original, replacing the brake line and master cylinder at the same time.
I'm away working for a couple of months but may give it a try with the grease gun and use of the oven when I get home.
I'm presently figuring out the many alternatives available on various forums, VF500 caliper may fit straight on the bracket as well :-\

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
Coke and tinfoil works really well on old chrome, would not have believed it until I tried it.
Been catching up on posts having returned from a week away.
This sounds like one of those Hot Tips that would have earned you £2 from Motorcycle Mechanic in 1974.
I too am curious as to what is involved here as I haven't come across this one before.
Can you tell us more?

jimv50

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:32:49 PM »
1 - pour Coke of any brand into a bowl or tin
2 - scrunch up a sheet of tinfoil/aluminium foil into a fist sized ball
3 - Dip ball of foil into the Coke
4 - Rub sodden ball onto rusty chromed  part with plenty of elbow grease
5 - you will feel the roughened part get smoother as the rust is taken off
6 - When smoothed off dry with a clean rag or towel
7- Admire the difference with a bottle of Duvel in your hand

jimv50

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
Can have gearbox problems but not all of them, need clean oil and thrashing. Why fit cx caliper, just unsieze that one

While exploring the internet I came across a method of getting a seized piston out using a rawl bolt, like a lot of great ideas kind of obvious really. So I will unseize the caliper, fix the snapped off nipple and keep it original(ish) and cheap.
Hel brakeline ordered already to make the braking tolerable

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 09:56:08 PM »
Good bikes, nice and light quick acceleration
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal