Author Topic: AGM batteries  (Read 1065 times)

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
AGM batteries
« on: July 09, 2016, 08:09:48 PM »
I am looking to replace the battery on my CB350F and I would like to fit an AGM unit but I have had a bad experience with one in the past.

My Moto Guzzi California III managed to overheat an Odessy battery causing the plates to buckle, the acid to boil and the casing to split. I suspect that it was caused by poor regulation of the alternator output. The bike had a Saprisa permanent magnet alternator so the regulator was basically a Zener type and it seemed to produce 14v or more under almost all conditions.

I have fitted an Electrex World RR24 Rectifier/Regulator to the Honda so it should be a great deal more sophisticated.

Does anyone out there have any experience of AGM or Gel batteries with these modern solid state control units?

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: AGM batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
I would still recommend a Motobatt even though they have been a bit hit and miss lately
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:36:19 PM »
I am looking to replace the battery on my CB350F and I would like to fit an AGM unit but I have had a bad experience with one in the past.

My Moto Guzzi California III managed to overheat an Odessy battery causing the plates to buckle, the acid to boil and the casing to split. I suspect that it was caused by poor regulation of the alternator output. The bike had a Saprisa permanent magnet alternator so the regulator was basically a Zener type and it seemed to produce 14v or more under almost all conditions.

I have fitted an Electrex World RR24 Rectifier/Regulator to the Honda so it should be a great deal more sophisticated.

Does anyone out there have any experience of AGM or Gel batteries with these modern solid state control units?

on my CB500,I have a Motobatt,and an RR24 regulator,I find them great,I even have 60/55 halogen headlight and no problems,
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:38:27 PM by Johnwebley »
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 08:31:18 AM »
I have had a "Motobatt" on the CB750 for around 18 months now and am very pleased with it. The charging set - up is still original, i.e. 1972 K2, for the U.S Market.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:29:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I have ordered a Motobatt and a CTEK charger to look after it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal