Author Topic: CB400F Valve clearance problem  (Read 1345 times)

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
CB400F Valve clearance problem
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:05:26 PM »
Have a problem setting the valve clearances. History first.
Had top end off to clean and paint casings so cam shaft has been off rockers bagged etc. valves 'lightly' ground in to clean seats/valve contact area using fine paste only.
Cam was removed after setting timing marks at TDC and replaced likewise. Rockers/valves labelled etc.

Have reassembled complete top end and following haynes manual to set valve clearances. Set no 1 piston at TDC on compression stroke.
So the problem is: I can set the set the clearance on inlet and exhaust on no. 1 but on no. 2 exhaust and no. 3 inlet there is no clearance at all to get the feeler in and when I rotate the crank to get no. 4 at TDC on compression stroke the same problem exists in that I can set in/ex on no. 4 but cannot get feeler under no. 3 ex and no. 2 in.

I'm wondering if I've put the cam back in wrong, i.e. with no. 4 on compression stroke and not no. 1.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance, Peter.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB400F Valve clearance problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:36:40 PM »
Peter,

both the 1 and 4 cylinder will be at TDC at the same time,

I set my tappets ,when the inlet valve is closing I do the exhaust,and when the exhaust starts to open,I do the inlet,
all on the same cylinder,
its not as the book says,but as a simple guy,I can do it ok.

may take longer,,
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB400F Valve clearance problem
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:20:03 AM »
Forget the Haynes manual treat is as two separate twin cylinders,

With the static mark at T 1&4 rock the engine backwards and forwards slightly, one cylinder valves will move so set the other cylinder, rotate the engine one turn and the cylinder with valves moving will swop so set the other.

Now set the static mark at T 2&3 and repeat above

It can be done with less turns of the engine but as a rookie the procedure described is the most foolproof

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal