Author Topic: Instuments  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Instuments
« on: July 18, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
Has been a long haul but finally got the bike back together and I think looking pretty good. I am stating to get picky with little bits so will be back to DS for another credit card hammering! What I want to ask you guys is what is the best way to refurbish the instruments? The speedometer is not to bad but the tacho has the washed out orange section and a rusted screw on the inside. I see that ebay has the overlays but as far as I can tell the clocks would need to cracked open at the crimps? Has anyone done this<
Thanks again

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Instuments
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:52:48 PM »
Its not to bad a job to crack them open just take your time.
I'm not sure but think Kent400 did a wright up on it.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »
Bike looking good John.

I managed to split my clocks by un-crimping the bands. However, it was very difficult to avoid creasing them, especially when putting them back together.

I'm sorry that I have no tips for you other than take your time, be very careful and use lots of soft wadding to protect the bands/clocks from your tools.

Jolly satisfying when it's done!

Cheers, D.
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:32:48 PM »
If you cut holes ofthe correct diameter in 16mm ply or MDF so the clock just fits inside, creasing can be avoided if you take your time.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 08:21:17 AM »
Looks like a really nice bike. I have a gauge restoration guide that I can email that is specific to the 400 four gauges, it's fair to say that removal and re-fitting the band defeats many. The guide will at least give an idea of what's involved and if the task is within you capabilities.

Offline Rirons

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
i did mine and its not too difficult just takes ages to uncrimp, tip when recrimping you need an arc (same dia as the clock) of aluminum to spread the load and prevent marks when crimping I learn't this after i did mine. so i ahve some marks on the band but they look better for the refurb.

Managed to get replacement fasteners from a local fastener suppliers, i had to retap the face to accept but worked well.

Attached are some before and after,

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 02:03:09 PM »
Looks like a really nice bike. I have a gauge restoration guide that I can email that is specific to the 400 four gauges, it's fair to say that removal and re-fitting the band defeats many. The guide will at least give an idea of what's involved and if the task is within you capabilities.

I would appreciate that very much Kent400

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »
i did mine and its not too difficult just takes ages to uncrimp, tip when recrimping you need an arc (same dia as the clock) of aluminum to spread the load and prevent marks when crimping I learn't this after i did mine. so i ahve some marks on the band but they look better for the refurb.

Managed to get replacement fasteners from a local fastener suppliers, i had to retap the face to accept but worked well.

Attached are some before and after,

That's a lovely job, I am hoping mine will be as good! Can I ask what kind of paint you used on the housing?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:10:27 PM by Johndoc »

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 02:06:37 PM »
Thank you everyone, it feels encouraging that you have done this and I have great hope of managing the task!

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 03:12:16 PM »
That's a lovely job, I am hoping mine will be as good! Can I ask what kind of paint you used on the housing?
I used PlastiKote Satin Black on mine and very happy with the results.
I used an etch primer as a base as I couldn't decide what the housings were made of, normal primer may have been sufficient.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
The housings are mild steel, no harm in etch priming them.  +1 on the Plasticote Satin Black.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 04:08:13 PM »

Ditto yes looks a great bike. Worst bands are on the oval combined speedo/tacho (CB72/77, JDM 250K, CB160) or on odd shapes like CD175/S90/SS125. I got some really cheapo 'Jubilee' clamps made out of thin rubbishy metal and connected them together to clamp the stainless steel Nippon Seiki bezel whilst uncrimping. If you use proper 'sturdy' Jubilee ones, on odd shaped bezels, I found that they tend to mark the bezel, where the clamp adjustment screw is. If it's the larger 500/4, 750 4  round ones, I think Lecram in Holland sells new ones if you cock it up ( not sure about 400/4, CB250K, early 500/4 ones)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bodd

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 08:01:57 PM »
This is how I refurbished my clocks, about a third of the way down the page.

Offline Rirons

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 07:57:50 AM »
i used halfords primer and satin black, with a clear coat after bead blasting, the needle end was painted with humbrol bright red modellers paint

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 08:35:36 AM »
Small square ones like those fitted to the CB92,C95  and C72 are the worst when in comes to bezel removal.
A hose clip can still be used, just push some mouldable polymorph plastic between the inside of the clip and the bezel to prevent the bezel spreading outwards. Polymorph is heated in water to 60c, sets when cold and can be re-used. Can also be used under the hose clip screw area to prevent the 'dimple' causing damage to the bezel when tightened. Buy some Polymorph and you soon find other uses for it.

As Ash mentioned CB750f securing bands are available from Lecam but these will only fit ND gauges and not Seiki ones. The Seiki ones fitted to the CB550f whist looking the same size as ND ones are in fact smaller. As far as I know the only other bands available are those fitted to the Kawasaki Z series gauges. I've looked at getting replacement bands made for the smaller Seiki gauges fitted to CB250, 400f and quite a few others but it involves quite a considerable investment and I'm far from sure it would be a worthwhile exercise because it's quite possible to remove/re-fit the band without causing damage to it. Given that the gauges tend to be a focal point on any bike marking on the top of them stands out like a sore thumb. Folding them back with pliers isn't a good plan and will probably leave some marking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal