Author Topic: Goodridge hose fitting  (Read 2285 times)

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Goodridge hose fitting
« on: July 22, 2016, 04:37:17 PM »
Hi,
I've just fitted a goodridge hose kit and connected to the front caliper, the kit contains parts to fit the hose direct into the caliper without the standard fixed brake line. Has anyone else done this? The angle from the caliper sends the hose almost directly into the front wheel and just can't be right. Any thoughts ?

Steve

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Goodridge hose fitting
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:01:57 PM »
the inlet pipe on the caliper had a gentle 90 degree bend to take it past the fork leg.

I would guess you need  to either mod your lower hose,or  use the original pipe ,then the new (shortened ) hose
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 05:15:48 PM »
Yeah, I was hoping that the standard kit would just be bolt on, otherwise what's the point of advertising that it fits 400/4 ?
If I'm going to use the standard pipe then obviously the goodridge hose will need shortening, which realistically is not really a DIY job I don't think, so it looks like money wasted to me  :(

Steve

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 05:19:28 PM »
Yeah, I was hoping that the standard kit would just be bolt on, otherwise what's the point of advertising that it fits 400/4 ?
If I'm going to use the standard pipe then obviously the goodridge hose will need shortening, which realistically is not really a DIY job I don't think, so it looks like money wasted to me  :(

Steve

have a word with the supplier ,explain,maybe they sent the wrong one ?

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
I checked back to see whether the hose I fitted was Goodridge but it was by Racetec so that didn't help.
It used the standard metal pipe at the bottom though, with a suitable fitting at the end of the hose.
The Goodridge web site is no help as far as details go, although there is a 'Contact Us' option so you could check with them.
I would expect the kit to just provide replacement hoses, not eliminate the pipe.
Shortening the pipe (even if you could) would require a different end fitting anyway.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 09:16:24 AM »
That looks a bit chunky, I used HEL on mine.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 10:11:41 AM »
Yes, that looks a little more elegant with an angled fitting. Did the HEL kit come with everything needed as in your picture ?

I've dropped the seller an email complete with photo of fitting. I've nothing to lose so lets see what response I get. I bought the kit way back in Jan but I've only just fitted it so here's hoping I get a favourable response. I'd be happy to use the standard pipe if he supplies the shortened hose.

Thanks
Steve

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
Here's the fitting on mine. As I recall the large grommet to fit in the support on the mudguard came with it.
Does the HEL hose have this fitted?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »
I bought the braided hose lines from a firm called CMS on eBay, this was in 2007, I just specified what I wanted as below, I also sent him my old brake lines for reference.

"As discussed could you please make up a new top hose (MC to 3-way splitter) and make up a single new bottom hose to replace the standard bottom hose and pipe section (3-way splitter to brake calliper). To maintain the bikes standard appearance the lines should be black sheathed"

The grommet on the HEL lines does not really fit anything though and is not strictly necessary.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 08:56:38 AM »
The bike is not ready for the road yet and still very much a work in progress so the mudguard has not been fitted yet. In the picture I have used a tie wrap on the fork leg just to keep the hose away from the wheel temporarily. Even with the mudguard fitted the angle from the caliper wouldn't change.  Its clear from the Spitfire picture that the hose is angled backwards immediately from the caliper towards the forks rather than my setup which sends it towards the wheel, this is what I'll be hoping to do. Maybe the second picture shows it better.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:05:23 AM by stevush »

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 09:00:02 AM »
I had a special made up just like the one posted by Spitfire.

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »
Thanks GTM. Who made up yours ?

Steve

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
Thanks Oddjob, I'm pretty sure what I need now, I'll wait to see what the supplier comes back with then I'm hoping someone can make up or supply a hose with an elbow to take it towards the forks and away from the whell

Steve

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 07:01:16 PM »
What you need is the mudguard to push the hose away from the wheel, hope this picture explains.

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »
had the same problem when fitting a goodridge to mine ...in the end they had not sent me a bit i needed. i took pictures of the assembley and they sent me the bit with apologies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal