SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

CB750 Barn find project - First Timer

<< < (2/119) > >>

MarkCR750:
Trigger is talking about the most worrying feature of these engines, if the jets are blocked it'll eat it's cam, so you either take the engine out and strip down to check the jets are clear, or clean the carbs change the oil and fire it up with a couple of tappet covers removed to see if there is oil splashing about the rocker area, if you remove the tappet covers before you do anything else and see residual oil in there it's a positive sign but not a guarantee, as trigger said it can get nasty!, I took the risk on mine and fired it up, happily plenty of oil getting to the top, but it's a call only you can make!.

AshimotoK0:
Hi welcome from me too .. a nice friendly bunch on here.

Start by downloading this. It's a big file but has the relevant parts/service manuals.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anpzqn2r55f1o9k/CB750%20Mega%20Parts%20Service%20and%20More.pdf?dl=0

I recognize that turntable at DK !

My advice is to strip the motor, at least the top end. My mate bought a 3k mile 500/4 from them a few months back but it didn't have a centre cable in the speedo cable ! It's obviously a very low miler but not 3k). He's fannied around trying to get it to run properly without stripping any of it but he's now stripping it. Same with the 9k mile CB350 I got from them . 'Weather seized from standing for umpteen years' , in their description. When I stripped it I found a big split pin jamming the gearbox (none used in that engine !) , so not weather seized at all ( Oh and a dried up wasp in the gearbox). I wish they wouldn't give bikes ' a few snort of ether' . God knows what damage it would do if the engine starts up after being stood for typically 30 years..
Don't get me wrong, I think the bikes from DK are sometimes great deals and the guys there are great to deal with, but some of their bikes look like them came from open air USA scrapyards plus they remove/swap bits themselves, plus the Yanks are notorious for not changing oil and tinkering, giving up and ditching the bike. After all the bikes were not work transport but mainly recreational vehicles.

onethumb:
Welcome to a new world order where old bike rule.
Thanks for the link ashimoto.

Honda Al:
Welcome. What's not known on this site about our bikes isn't worth knowing!

I've bought two DK specials now. Pleased with both of them. My CL350 was described in exactly the same way, but after checking it over and putting a new battery in it started straight away and I rode up the road with it. I'm not sure how much effort they put into trying to start them so you might be surprised when it arrives.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Honda Al on July 24, 2016, 10:35:11 AM ---Welcome. What's not known on this site about our bikes isn't worth knowing!

I've bought two DK specials now. Pleased with both of them. My CL350 was described in exactly the same way, but after checking it over and putting a new battery in it started straight away and I rode up the road with it. I'm not sure how much effort they put into trying to start them so you might be surprised when it arrives.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Don't know if you are aware Al but there is an M6 bolt on the cambox on the CB/CL350 twins. It's purpose is to check oil feed to the top end. Funnily,  only about four years ago,  I asked DK why they never imported smallish Honda Twins and they told me it wasn't worth it / No demand. They obviously had a rethink!I was really pleased with the the '69 350K1 I got from them. They had removed bits from it and it never sold so I picked it up in a 'deal'  for less than £1K but it had the nicest chrome of any other twin I have seen them selling. I literally had nothing to re-chrome on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version