Author Topic: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer  (Read 54083 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2016, 05:39:13 PM »
Worth changing valve stem seals

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
Worth changing valve stem seals

Ill look into it  :)

Just doing another bulk order on DS, do my cam chain tensioner bits look like they are kaput?

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »
Got my barrels and head back from the shop

They are just measuring my pistons up for me now as I don't really trust my £5 eBay micrometer.

Still haven't quite wrapped my head around the valves, if they've been vacuum tested and seal well does that mean they don't need lapping at all?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2016, 03:59:06 PM »
Valves probably not but definitely change the seals, tensioner is expensive but worth changing as old rubber goes hard and can break causing disassters

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2016, 06:20:10 PM »
Valves probably not but definitely change the seals, tensioner is expensive but worth changing as old rubber goes hard and can break causing disassters

Yeah I thought that might be the case, piston rings seem fine but is this one of the 'might as wells' when it's in bits?

Just spent the last 90 minutes getting these boys clean

They were really coked up bad

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »
Just spent another £180 at DS  :-X

Pretty much just cam chain tensioner bits and throttle cables.. didn't even include a camchain either.

Still on the hunt for some decent gasket sets of anyone has any ideas!

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »
Probably going to go with a vesrah gasket set as they seem the most complete, may need to still buy the odd bit though.

Just looking at piston ring part numbers on CMSNL and it's confusing what the actual part number is..

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k6-four-england_model14383/partslist/E15.html#results

Seen some NOS on eBay part number 13011-300-024, would these fit?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »
loving your enthusiasm underdog, the engine stand looks great and fair play to you for getting the all clear from missis to work in the front room, its so easy to spend a small fortune at ds, its amazing how much a engine build can swallow money, keep up the good work fella
pete

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2016, 06:03:33 PM »
Probably going to go with a vesrah gasket set as they seem the most complete, may need to still buy the odd bit though.

Just looking at piston ring part numbers on CMSNL and it's confusing what the actual part number is..

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k6-four-england_model14383/partslist/E15.html#results

What size do you require, I have a large stock of Honda piston rings.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2016, 07:32:41 PM »

What size do you require, I have a large stock of Honda piston rings.

Standard size for the 750 mate, PM sent  :)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2016, 04:56:25 PM »
As I'm now home for a couple of weeks for xmas I stuffed the anchor in the boot of my car and took it into my family home where I can utilise the garage rather than ruining the carpet in my house  ;D

Took everything off in preparation to split the cases, had to leave the clutch and rotor on as i don't currently have the correct tools.

I had to take the engine off the stand after removing all the upper case fixings to split the cases so just chucked onto a workmate type bench, was a little worried about how precarious it was going to be but its weighted enough at the rear to balance nicely.

Removed all the lower case fixings and tapped around the edges with a block of wood and hammer and without too much trouble cracked the old girl open.

Happy that this was relatively pain free and will have time to dive into it deeper tomorrow.

A few quick questions though -

I need the engine fully stripped down for cleaning and painting, will the rotor now come out with the crankshaft in one piece and will the clutch come out with the transmission main shaft? or do i still need the special tools to get them out?

For the gear shift mechanism i only removed the shift arm and counter shaft bearing holder, couldn't get the other bits off as i think the screw holding the gear shift side plate is staked in place?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2016, 05:01:48 PM »
The crank will lift out with the rotor attached, as will the clutch and gearshaft. There is no need to dismantle the pins and endplate on the selector drum at any point unless there was a gear selection problem before you stripped it.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 18, 2016, 06:23:22 PM »
The crank will lift out with the rotor attached, as will the clutch and gearshaft. There is no need to dismantle the pins and endplate on the selector drum at any point unless there was a gear selection problem before you stripped it.

That's good news then, will take it to bits tomorrow then. I never actually rode it before I stripped it as it was sold as a non runner, carbs were all gunked up so I cleaned those up and got her running before tearing her apart but the drive chain was rusted so didn't want to actually try riding it first! I'm hoping the reason it was layed up was just the carbs and so far it doesn't look like it's had much of a hard life at all.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »
Final question of the day guys..

Would putting the engine casings/head/barrels etc through a dish washer with regular dish washer tablets damage either the parts or the dish washer itself? Considering doing it tomorrow secretly  ;D

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2016, 08:05:41 PM »
Really can't answer that one, my dishwasher would notice and complain bitterly! ;D Although Ashimoto may know, he will try almost anything once!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal