Author Topic: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer  (Read 54053 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 Barn find project - First Timer
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2017, 10:10:21 PM »
Turn the base gasket over, it should fit better ;)

If you get the rocker cover gasket on the wong way wound  ;D it will leak

Yeah that got it! Just seemed to me like it should be shined side up..

Got the piston rings on, pistons on the con rods and then with the help of my other half in zero degree temps (I'm back in a garage) we fitted the barrels relatively trouble free (scrimped on ring compressors and just used my fingernails).

I then fitted the head and torqued down, little worried I might have over torqued slightly as my torque wrench seems past it's best.. but it won't be by much so should hopefully be alright. Got the cam towers on and fitted camshaft, just need to set the timing (which involves reattaching the spark advancer - can't remember how it goes on currently!) and then I can fit the rockers and get her all buttoned up.

In other news I had to remove the rotor cover to check the pistons moved fine after fitting the barrels and one of the bolt heads sheared off leaving about 3cm sticking out the case, not a drama as there should be plenty to grip to get out but just a bit annoying.

May have to leave it there for now as I'm being forced to go to a spa tomorrow.. hate that kind of stuff!

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/lubricants-and-chemicals/industrial-cleaners-and-solvents/amberclens-anti-static-foaming-cleaner-400ml/p/AMB7010070S?utm_campaign=pla+-+&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping-pla&utm_keyword=AMB7010070S&istCompanyId=6aa6787b-063e-4414-802d-129f235df603&istItemId=aqrxtqtxw&istBid=tztt

This is useful for the "Graphogen on the carpet" also for getting the smell of puke out of car interiors if you've transported young children. Although I could see too many occurrences of Graphogen on the carpet leading to  lacking the opportunity of "practicing" for children. ;)

Cheers bro but brake cleaner got it in the end!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »
Hope you cross hatched the bores, otherwise it will smoke like a chimney  ;D ;D

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
I would have thought the super slippery stuff in the Graphogen would find its way into the clutch and make that super slippery, or am I over thinking again?
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2017, 06:57:51 AM »
I would have thought the super slippery stuff in the Graphogen would find its way into the clutch and make that super slippery, or am I over thinking again?

A bit like oil is slippery Mike  ;D You only use a wipe of Graphogen... not the whole tube. The tube it comes in is trade use, the new company owners have said, they will start doing smaller tubes soon.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
Hope you cross hatched the bores, otherwise it will smoke like a chimney  ;D ;D
Well I had them honed if that's what you mean?

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »
Just waiting for a new torque wrench to arrive as I expect my current one has had it.

Am I likely to run into leaky head gasket issues if I end up backing off a few of the fixings, it's probably not massively over tightened but I don't want to warp anything..

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
Got some Graphogen and plastigauge.   Going to do a proper job this time.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 05, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »
Just waiting for a new torque wrench to arrive as I expect my current one has had it.

Am I likely to run into leaky head gasket issues if I end up backing off a few of the fixings, it's probably not massively over tightened but I don't want to warp anything..

Anyone able to advise on this?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2017, 09:45:31 PM »
Reverse torque pattern about quarter of a turn and then re torque.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »
After another busy spell at work I've got the next 10 days to do a bit of work on the bike. I'm currently in the process of buying a house which is seriously eating up all my money so will just be doing what I can for now. Unfortunately I can't afford to get bits powder coated right now so reassembly may still be a way off.. but I'll get there!

As far as I remember, when I left the lump I had the cylinder head on but hadnt got the cam shaft on properly as I didn't have the contact breaker assembly on to mark the timing. It's been a while now since I took it apart - how the heck does this go back on??

Just as a look forward I'm trying to tally up future costs to help me budget, I'd like the wheels to be powder coated satin black (spokes and all). Is this finish likely to damage when adjusting the spokes?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2017, 04:28:57 PM »
you need to powder coat after truing/building the wheels or it will crack when you attempt to mtighten a spoke

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 11, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »
you need to powder coat after truing/building the wheels or it will crack when you attempt to mtighten a spoke

Hoping this wouldn't be the answer  ;D
So does this mean fitting tyres, truing wheels (would they also need balancing or does the truing negate this?) then stripping the tyres back off, powder coating as a single piece then refitting tyres?

Edit:

Does anywhere sell black spokes? Would be a lot easier to get some which are either factory powder coated or anodised black
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:29:58 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 11, 2017, 09:24:54 PM »
As far as I remember, when I left the lump I had the cylinder head on but hadnt got the cam shaft on properly as I didn't have the contact breaker assembly on to mark the timing. It's been a while now since I took it apart - how the heck does this go back on??

Anyone able to help with this?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 11, 2017, 09:39:46 PM »
What instructions do you need, the timing unit or re timing the camshaft?

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 11, 2017, 11:10:08 PM »
What instructions do you need, the timing unit or re timing the camshaft?

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Reassembling the timing unit. Doesn't seem to be featured in any of the manuals I've got

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal