Author Topic: Keihin jets  (Read 2046 times)

Offline IronJimCb

• View Profile
Keihin jets
« on: July 27, 2016, 04:10:08 PM »
Hey guys and girls

Anybody got any Keihin pilot jets #38 and Keihin main jets #82 or larger that they don't need and want to sell to me?

Thanks in advance

Jimbo

If you've never owned one you'll never understand

CB400F

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Keihin jets
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:42:39 PM »
Don't faint wish shock everyone but my missus told me on Sunday she wants me to get my 400/4 on the road for 'Sunday jaunts..It last ran in 1986 ! !! ....I think it has larger main jets as it originally had K&N pod filters..... so you can have those if you want them as I am going to get the correct standard ones for it .
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:49:47 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »
Don't faint wish shock everyone but my missus told me on Sunday she wants me to get my 400/4 on the road for 'Sunday jaunts..It last ran in 1986 ! !! ....I think it has larger main jets as it originally had K&N pod filters..... so you can have those if you want them as I am going to get the correct standard ones for it .
Oh Ash, does this mean your actually going to have a bike on the road? 😃😃😃 Mind you, after 30 years off the road it may need a bit more attention than just the jets changing!!!
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline IronJimCb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:39:21 PM »
Iv got the standard main jets for a 400 4 and the pilots......swapsies?

What size are the mains ?

If you've never owned one you'll never understand

CB400F

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:14:14 PM »
I will check ...gonna be weird removing those float bowls after 30 years!
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:09:17 AM »
Well that was scary  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[. When I laid my bike up in my bro's  barn in '86 I deffo drained the carbs but left the tank full of petrol. My nephew/niece used to play on it when it was in the barn  and all I can assume is that they must have turned on the petrol tap at some point 'cos there was horrid smelling fuel in the carbs. Just hoping they will ultrasonicaly clean out  OK. Then I will treat them to a Yamiya carb kit rather than Keyster or Cruzinimage ( don't trust any of Cruzinimage's rubber components).

The standard main jet is 75 but mine had 90's in, which I assume came with the K&N's it was originally fitted with. No need for swapsies , you can have them, as everything is in the Yamiya kit. Perhaps someone has another size too for you to swap.

http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=179_273_207_214&products_id=3041

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »
Ash - they will clean out just fine. Main problem would be if the pillars supporting the float pin have corroded away at all. Be careful in case they are weak.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »
Ash - they will clean out just fine. Main problem would be if the pillars supporting the float pin have corroded away at all. Be careful in case they are weak.

Cheers .. Yes ..I am making a tool to try to push the pins out out without putting any undue  force on the pillars. The other thing that concerned me was the bottom of the casting that the main jet fits into but it looks OK internally. I have one carb body in the US cleaner at 70°C at the mo' in Allendale carb fluid, so fingers crossed. I think I will remove the cam cover too and put a bit of Trigger recommended Graphogen on the top end before I start it. I put STP down the bores in '86, as I remember and it does turn over fine. I am replacing the Antrares Red tank with a Varnish Blue one (as it's an early F)  and the Blue one is squeaky clean inside. If I remember correctly, I think cam cover comes off without removing the engine. Is that correct anyone?

IronJimcb ...hope I am not hijacking your thread?  :-[ :-[

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »
Hi Ash,
Yes the cam cover comes off and back on easily with the motor in the frame.  It's how I do it on my own - bottom half in, barrels on, head on, cam cover on, breather cover on.  I'm getting too old to lift a complete unit into a pristine freshly painted frame!
Ian

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »

Cheers .. Yes ..I am making a tool to try to push the pins out out without putting any undue  force on the pillars. The other thing that concerned me was the bottom of the casting that the main jet fits into but it looks OK internally. I have one carb body in the US cleaner at 70°C at the mo' in Allendale carb fluid, so fingers crossed. I think I will remove the cam cover too and put a bit of Trigger recommended Graphogen on the top end before I start it. I put STP down the bores in '86, as I remember and it does turn over fine. I am replacing the Antrares Red tank with a Varnish Blue one (as it's an early F)  and the Blue one is squeaky clean inside. If I remember correctly, I think cam cover comes off without removing the engine. Is that correct anyone?

IronJimcb ...hope I am not hijacking your thread?  :-[ :-[

Graphogen is for new bearing surfaces, NOT old Ash

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 10:35:54 PM »
OK Graham ..I understand now about your Graphogen stuff .. what would you put on the cam /  followers , of used components then? I originally assembled it with STP as that was the done thing in '86.

Put together a little press thingy after work to push out the brass float pins. It worked great on the first carb.  I think I can recover them OK  and the slides etc look pristine. Forgot how nice an neat the 400/4 engine is.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:44:39 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 10:48:20 PM »
OK Graham ..I understand now about your Graphogen stuff .. what would you put on the cams followers then, of used components then? I originally assembled it with STP as that was the done thing in '86.
He can't answer you Ash, he's having a heart attack whilst writing out a parts list for the next restoration, he's gone a funny colour blue and is foaming at the mouth whilst bashing his fingers on the calculator. But, I know he uses a product from his favourite 99p shop, it comes in a huge tub and he buys it in bulk and it's Vaseline  ;D ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 08:07:13 AM »
Here is the tool I used for freeing up the stuck float pin.  A bit of M2 stainless thread in an M2 die twin-stuck to a little clamp I found at work. M5 half nut at other end.

Now back to original thread ...sorry Jim   :-[ :-[ :.

I will post your #90 jets off today &  I do have a spare set of #35 slow jets but guess they are no use to you as probably standard. No need for swapsies as I am ordering 4 carb kits from Yamiya.

Can anyone remember who wanted some CB750K7 jets on here a week or so back ? ...  as I may have found some.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:08:44 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »
That's a nifty little tool Ash. I am only just beginning to realise how lucky I was not snapping the posts on my 400/4 carbs when I changed all the internals. I removed the pins with a nail and a big metal hammer  :o :o Ignorance is bliss, so they say. ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal