Author Topic: gearbox troubles  (Read 1070 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
gearbox troubles
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:32:06 PM »
i'm just reassembling a 400/4 engine and have got the crank cases together and the external selector mechanism, next stage is assembling the clutch. however my trusty Haynes manual says to try the gear selection mechanism  - so with a pair of molegrips on the gear shift side i tried the gears and to be honest a bit chunky and clunky would be the best description. my question is is this normal and should I just carry on assembly or , and please dont say it, but do I need to split the crankcases again and sort the problem out. I feel i know the answer but i'm hoping i'm wrong. :-\  this is the first time i've ever done this so are there are tricks i've missed?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:14:23 PM »
Without seeing feeling it I can't say for sure, but it's surprising how much leverage the gearlever applies. Chances are it's normal, as you won't have oil in the engine, and provided the gears engage okay, I doubt you gave any issue to worry about.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline stevush

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:51:28 PM »
I've just got my engine back together and running and I had the same problem. I too was a first time builder. Turning the engine a little while trying to engage the gear helped but I still had reservations, however it all seems OK now. Although I haven't been out on it I can select and get drive through all gears and I've ridden it up and down the driveway a couple of times so I think its OK. I agree with previous post that its difficult to say but I'm sure if you've taken your time and followed the manual it will be fine. The gears can be difficult to select anyway so my advice is carry on and have faith !!!

Regards
Steve

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 09:00:05 PM »
It does feel clunky when trying the gears by hand.  Bear in mind the engine isn't rotating, which keeps all the dogs engaged with each other.   As long as you can select all 6 it should be fine.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »
Plus 1 with Mike. The gears aren't designed to be worked like that. Just try engaging gear on any bike without the engine running. Chances are you would have to rock the bike to get it to engage. I'm sure it will be fine, if it was assembled wrongly you would have struggled to get the cases together properly. Good luck with the build.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:15:45 PM »
Thanks all...put my mind at rest. my wife said the gear lever exerts a different pressure and the absence of oil might be hindering perhaps i'll get her to do the rest!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal