Author Topic: Progress on the DK/DS special  (Read 1560 times)

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Progress on the DK/DS special
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:33:31 PM »
Hi All,
Had a good day in the garage today and was mostly struggling to get the 4 into 2 exhaust system to fit properly. A wooden mallet helped. Its an unusual system in that cylinders 1 & 4 are connected as is 2 & 3 which gives rise to an unusual sound. I've started but haven't ridden the bike yet but when I eventually get the bike down the road and decide its a 'keeper' I'll shell out for a set of 4 pipes.
There's a little way to go yet. Bit of a horror in whats under under the LH side panel ! Can anyone tell me / post a photo of how it all should be arranged? The solenoid, fuse box, flasher relay and safety circuit box all hang free. the previous owner in Colorado USA must have had shares in Scotchlock connectors - even found them inside the handle bar switch gear.
If I were to do this again, I'd certainly check the head gasket for leaks, as that's why the engine had to come out and it has taken a huge amount of time. Bought it in October 2015 and only now getting to the point where I can ride it. I'd also check for any missing parts and add up what needs replacing as so far I've spent about £700 at David Silver and on eBay for bits like the centre stand which was missing, hoses, pads, gaskets, swing arm bushes and spindle; tons of stuff.
I'll let you know how it runs when I finally get my leg over it which will hopefully be this week.
Ride safe.
Cheers
Phil
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Progress on the DK/DS special
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 08:53:23 PM »
My pictures were too big and wouldn't go through.
Just took these on my phone; much smaller but rubbish quality.
Cheers
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:03:04 PM »
It should look like this

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 09:04:41 PM »
You could also have a look at the CB500 / 550 F Shop Manual in Ashimoto's Dropbox (http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.0.html).
Fig 290 on manual page 96 may help.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 09:10:56 PM »
You could also have a look at the CB500 / 550 F Shop Manual in Ashimoto's Dropbox (http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.0.html).
Fig 290 on manual page 96 may help.

Not sure why he would want 500/550 info for a CB750K2  ;)

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »
Whoops! My mistake! Dunno why I was thinking CB500 there, must have been thinking of another bike.
OK, try the CB750 Shop Manual in the CB750 Mega download in Ash's Dropbox. Fortuitously the Shop Manual is the first document so you don't have to wade through loads of pages; there are a couple of pics in the electrical sections that may help.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal