Author Topic: Its a 'keeper'......  (Read 978 times)

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Its a 'keeper'......
« on: September 12, 2016, 12:32:55 PM »
Hi All,
Finally got the K2 running down the road, went through the gears and all seems to work so think I will keep it. Ran like a dog though due (I think) over -
fuelling; had petrol dropping out the over-flow tubes and ran on 2/3 cylinders, black smoke from exhausts, smells like my local Texaco etc.
I'm pretty sure the floats were OK and I checked the heights. So can only be worn out needle valves is my guess. Or am I missing something? Whaddaya think everybody? Any advice welcomed before I shell out £30 to DS for a set of new ones.
Also, a bigger problem may be the oil leak I have at the front of the cam box. This is where the cam chain throws off its oil. It has a new gasket there and I'm pretty sure I tightened up all the screws and bolts to the correct torque (7ftlbs). The question is with the tank off and the breather box off, is it possible to get at the screws and tighten them up? If I've got to take the engine out again I'll scream blue murder !!
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Its a 'keeper'......
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:07:40 PM »
If you need carb parts you could try these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750K-K1-K2-K3-K4-K5-K6-Carb-Repair-Kits-4-Repair-Kits-Include-48-1912-/261752454445?hash=item3cf1a97d2d
I know a number of people on here (myself included) have used these sets for other bikes.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 03:10:16 PM »
Its easy to fit the rocker box gasket backwards then it leaks, if from lower down the rubber seals under the cam towers are known to leak and oil can get down the tower holding stud threads. It has been said you can finagle a cover gasket in with the cover loosened so you must be able to get at the screws but I never managed it

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
Seems as though Bryanj is right. I've got the cam box gasket on the wrong way. There's an 'ear' which points inwards and has to be on the left hand side. To change it I was thinking I'd have to take the engine out again; but not according to this fella who made the same mistake I did. If you can get the screws out you can lift it up and swop the gasket:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2orch75W2uI

Also looking on You Tube it seems as though you can 'lap in' the carb needle valves with a mild abrasive such as toothpaste or Solvol metal polish. Any of you done this? Was it successful?
Thanks in advance.
Phil d'A
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 11:25:25 PM »
You can just change the rocker box gasket but it's very very tight. The problem is usually the old gasket coming off in pieces. It's absolutely impossible to scrape off stuck gasket in situ without it falling into the engine. And once you've started the job there's no going back, the engine will have to come out to clean up the faces. Good luck.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 06:53:50 AM »
You ain't the first and I doubt you will be the last to make the mistake. Now i have not tried it but if you remove all the engine mounting bolts will it drop/twist to make taking the cover off easier? If you do get it off i would fit a new tacho drive seal as well as that is a pain to replace in situ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal