Author Topic: Honda CB550f ticking noise  (Read 5705 times)

Offline peteuk

• SOHC Associate
  • Honda CB550f
    • View Profile
Honda CB550f ticking noise
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
Hi, I own a CB550f 1977 and it has developed a ticking noise that increases with rpm. It sounds like it's coming from number 1 exhaust tappet. The strange thing is if I disconnect number 1 spark plug cap the ticking stops. Soon as I reconnect again it starts. I have installed new plugs and set gap correctly as well as the valves gap.
I have attached a link to a video so you can see/hear the problem. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
https://youtu.be/HEqH2pH-4qU

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Honda CB550f ticking noise
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:12:11 PM »
Nice 550, it sounds like the exhaust blowing at the cylinder. Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
Nice 550, it sounds like the exhaust blowing at the cylinder. Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC.
[/quote

agrees with Trigger,it does sound like a blowing sealing ring,

and also welcome to the sohc fun palace
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 08:54:44 PM »
it sounds like the exhaust blowing at the cylinder.
Could well be. Are you sure exhaust gasket is there? You could tighten the two 10mm nuts some more to compress the gasket more. Make sure to untighten the other fastening point(s) of the exhaust first, so the exhaust can move a little. If not you'll ruin the 8mm studs or their thread in the head.

Offline peteuk

• SOHC Associate
  • Honda CB550f
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:48:02 PM »
Wow thanks for the quick replies. I must admit I never gave the exhaust a thought. But, would it make a ticking noise and would it disappear when the cap was removed on plug 1 if it was the exhaust gasket. I was going down the lines of electrical arcing from a dodgy lead.
Great site by the way

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:00:32 PM »
It would stop once you remove the cap as that cylinder is not firing. I am 99% sure, as the video explained more of a clear problem than in writing .

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 10:35:58 PM »
Almost certain this is the exhaust. Suspect the copper crush gasket may have got twisted / deformed on install? Did you fit the exhaust?

Offline peteuk

• SOHC Associate
  • Honda CB550f
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 11:17:27 PM »
Thanks again for the replies.
No I didn't fit the exhaust but I shall be checking tomorrow based on what your saying.
I'll let you know how I get on
Thanks again

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 07:31:46 AM »
Definitely exhaust, i spent hours chasing a loose tappet till i tightened the exhaust flanges

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 07:44:17 AM »
I've found that some of the aftermarket copper crush gaskets 'supposedly' for the 500/550 have the wrong OD (slightly too big). They snag / twist on installation and sometimes don't seal properly.

Offline peteuk

• SOHC Associate
  • Honda CB550f
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »
A massive thanks to all those who suggested the exhaust. I was totally going down the wrong lines. I reseated the gasket, tightened everything up and problem solved.
Your knowledge and experience saved me hours of unnecessary work and head scratching
Thanks again
Here's a link to the result.  https://youtu.be/qaol2xsJAtg

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »
A massive thanks to all those who suggested the exhaust. I was totally going down the wrong lines. I reseated the gasket, tightened everything up and problem solved.
Your knowledge and experience saved me hours of unnecessary work and head scratching
Thanks again
Here's a link to the result.  https://youtu.be/qaol2xsJAtg

Sorted  ;) Saved stripping the top end down, Donations are always appreciated on this forum  :)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 11:11:49 PM »
Great result. Sounds like it should now. Enjoy!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 08:42:05 AM »
sounds sweet, have you had it long?

Offline peteuk

• SOHC Associate
  • Honda CB550f
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 03:25:41 PM »
Hi, no I bought it about 3 months ago running on 3 cylinders. Sounded shocking, like the primary chain was loose but a carb sync sorted that out. it had a new exhaust with it, new wheels and spokes, new indicators and stems, new tachometer clock. I've also replaced rear shocks, new clutch and cable, new seat cover, carbs off and cleaned up (what a job that is getting them buggers off), new air box filter, new air box to carb rubbers and a new paint job (decals cost 60 quid and apparently that's cheap......really???)  The list goes on and on. They're a bit of a money pit these old bikes and everything seems so dear. I bought an an old rusty neutral switch cos the one on the bike was missing, cost 36 quid. Problem is it's so enjoyable spending money on it and seeing a good result.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal