Author Topic: Cl77  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Cl77
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:59:44 PM »
Picked this up....I've always liked the early ones..it was a toss up between this and another xt500.
I've had a few of them and this just won me over..
Runs sweet and sound good too..with loads of the original parts on it..
But I do need a pair of mirrors I think part no 88110-041-000
Should be rectangular with the smaller 8mm thread...I think they fitted them to loads
Does anyone have a pair or even one kicking around. Surplus?..(spose this should be in wanted section)
Anyway we all love a pic

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cl77
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »
Great looking little bike , nice find, sorry no help on mirrors.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 06:10:23 PM »
We have bizarrely similar tastes. I'm just about to start the restoration on my CL77...great choice / find...

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 06:26:43 PM »
Like I said I always had a soft spot for the early ones...even the later ones i find very cool.!!!
I saw it and it has all the correct hard to find parts even the chain gaurd with the vents cut in...
I bought it on a bit of  a whim it was an xt that was on the shopping list but I saw this first ...I was told it did run a few months back but was being a bit of  a pig now and not running for more than a few seconds. ...i cleaned the carbs ...fresh fuel and sorted a poorly fitted plug cap and it really is a sweet as a nut...and sounds absolutely fantastic with the baffles open....
It also had a wiring fault that when you turn the lights on it would just act like a kill switch and blow the fuse....nothing more than a green wire in the headlamp shell connected to the wrong green wire with a white boot on it?confusing but with the downloaded diagram just a 20 min fix....
I really like this bike may be because so far it's been simple ( all my other bikes seem to kick me in the boloxs eveytime I look at them at the moment)... mot hopefully this week.
I did get a rather nice 2 page small history of the bike that someone wrote about 15 years ago documenting about 30 years of history. ..and the reason the reg was lost...hopefully no dramas there or ill need to start wearing a cricket box

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 07:38:07 PM »
Great bike there mate ..nice find. Much prettier than the CB77. I had a CB72 back in '75  but never got on with it but I could quite easily own a CL. Not going to though, got enough bikes for now.  One good thing about the CB/CL 72/77 is that the cam runs in ball bearings. If it has the same kickstart arrangement as the CB, then  go easy on it as the casting breaks easily  and costs £££££ as its'a a 'hens teeth' part, in undamaged condition  . Also on the CB if you get the  fork m6 bolts in the lower fork legs wrong length  it locks up the fork action as the wrong length longer bolt breaks  though the slider wall (don't ask me how I know this  :-[ )
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:40:42 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »
Looks as though your in good company with your new bike, Mr McQueen at bud ekins .

p
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal