Author Topic: More help required with pd46a carbs  (Read 1033 times)

Offline davidrsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
More help required with pd46a carbs
« on: October 02, 2016, 09:01:44 PM »
Hi

I got the carbs, air box, battery and petrol tank back on, but when turned the engine over it didn't fire up.
I checked the plugs, they were clean but dry, I took the carb bowl drain plugs out, and nothing came out.
I then took the petrol pipe off the carbs and petrol flowed. I have taken the carbs back out the bike and they are sat on the bench. The only other thing I tried was putting a length of new tubing on the carb petrol inlet nipple and tried gently blowing but it seems blocked.

Anyone got any good ideas before I start ripping the carbs to pieces?

Many thanks
Dave

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: More help required with pd46a carbs
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »
Float height wrong or float needles stuck closed

Offline davidrsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
Hi

I have found the cause, I had floats in upside down causing the float needle to be permanently closed.  Now I have them in the correct way round, I have the carbs on the bench connected to a petrol supply and carb two is leaking fuel through the overflow, I'm guessing the float height is wrong and not pushing the the float needle closed. The float needle moves freely and there isn't any residue in the tube that the float needle sits in.
Where and how do I measure this, I know the measurement is supposed to be 14mm, if the measurement is wrong how do I adjust it ?

Thanks
Dave

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »
I was told that the 14mm height is measured from the free end of the float to the face of the carb flange. I was also told that it should be measured with the plate on the float assembly touching the pin on the needle but exerting no pressure on it so you have to tip the carbs at an angle to make sure the weight of the floats isn't bearing down on the needle. That's how I set mine and if I'd welcome confirmation/disagreement from someone. 
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal