Author Topic: WTD: Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning (CB400F)  (Read 3137 times)

Offline ManicGTI

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
WTD: Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning (CB400F)
« on: October 06, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »
Hey all, i've been away for quite a while as my 400 has been laid up in storage following a housemove.  I've just managed to get it back so onwards I can go again...

Does anyone have any recommendations for Carb cleaning services?  (Ultrasonic) I'm not sure it's the direction i'll be going in yet, but i'm fed up with rebuilding them, and I don't think I'm getting fuel through.  I'm worried that my 'hand' clean wasn't enough and the internal pathways are still blocked.

Thanks,

Dave

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: WTD: Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning (CB400F)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 06:25:33 PM »
it's cheaper to buy an ultrasonic bath from ebay and do it yourself.  I bought a 2 litre one, which is OK for doing them one at a time.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 08:13:59 PM »
I'm sure Julie had hers done some time in the past but can't find the thread. If she sees this she may be able to tell you where she went (as opposed to telling you where to go ....).
Consensus from the thread I did find was not to split the bank of carbs unless absolutely necessary.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 08:28:58 PM »
I had mine done when still living down in Kent Chris. Not a good experience, the plonker put some type of corrosive/ caustic cleaner in the bath and the carbs were left with a nasty white powdery residue. I tried every way of cleaning out that white stuff but it kept leaching out of the metal and reappearing. Make sure whoever cleans them uses something very gentle, something non corrosive like screen wash. I did get them clean enough eventually to put them back on the bike but they were far from perfect. Luckily, I didn't have any problems with blocked jets etc. By the way, the chap did give me a full refund !!!!
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 09:43:20 AM »
I think US cleaners are OK but not the 'cure all' for carbs that some people proclaim they are. When you get those white deposits that Julie had it's usually by long term standing with rainwater getting inside and my experience is that it is not removable by ultrasonic cleaning. What they are good for is reaching internal drillings etc that are inaccessible due to being 'blanked off' by the carb manufacturer after drilling. Sometimes you can't beat a good old dunk in methylene chloride but this is now  outlawed by the H&S brigade (still available off eBay though ;)) . Plus those white corrosion deposits are only really removed with mechanical abrasion, soda blasting being the preferred method. Someone else is bound to chip in but I do have lots of experience with US cleaners as I own a 45 litre one myself and we have three even bigger ones where I work. All of them are industrial versions 40kHz. My experience of the Chinese ones is that the build quality is poor so be careful and run from an RCD protected mains supply. Also, someone gave me a small Chinese one to fix and when I got it working I did the standard test of putting a bit of aluminium foil in it and checking for tiny holes in it after a couple of minutes (caused by the cavitation). With that Chinese one the foil disintegrated to dust withing a few seconds, which obviously proved that it was working, but far to aggressive for delicate alloy parts. Also you need the correct fluid for high zinc content alloy used on carbs. Allendale electronics sell the correct stuff on eBay. If you use stuff that is slightly alkaline or acidic, you will end up losing the iridescent finish from the alloy and you can also get horrid black deposits on the alloy.

This site is a great resource for advice & info !  http://www.cb750carbs.com/
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 09:49:47 AM »
When you get those white deposits that Julie had it's usually by long term standing with rainwater getting inside ...
Maybe, but the deposits Julie had the problem with were as a result of the cleaning and whatever additive was used.
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,7816.0.html

Offline ManicGTI

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 10:15:43 AM »
Thanks for that link, interesting site!

So it's the internal drilling that I am concerned about.  The net seems to have mixed opinions of self-US cleaning, and I'm not keen on spending much on a cleaner for one project, esp if it's not an appropriate cleaner!

I have previously stripped, cleaned (by hand) and rebuilt all four.  They are now sitting with replacement Jets, Needle Valves, O-Rings etc (after a few rebuild attempts eliminating various leaks!).

History: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,9575.0.html

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
It's years since I last spoke to Mike Nixon.

Actually, it's 11 years!

His website hasn't changed much  :)

I'll see if I can get him to join us here.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Derckey

• What his eyes see, his hands will break..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 10:26:34 PM »
Had mine done by George from http://www.icmhome.org.uk/

Was happy with the result

Offline Derckey

• What his eyes see, his hands will break..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 10:27:51 PM »
Forgot to mention - he is based in Penge, South London

Offline ManicGTI

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »
Oh awesome,thanks!  I'm also in South London now!

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »
I can recommend icm in Pence. Very good service and they know what they are doing with bike parts.
I was charged £25 per carb.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline paddyz1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 01:29:48 PM »
Before you spend any money why not try and boil them. That may free any gunky fuel in the orifices. Then you can clean out any residue with air and carb cleaner

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 08:50:31 PM »
Dave - do you still need my valve spring compressor??  ;)
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline ManicGTI

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »
 :-[  Apologies, Tom, yes I do still have them!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal