Author Topic: electronic ignition  (Read 1979 times)

Offline sohc bob

• View Profile
electronic ignition
« on: October 09, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »
having just acquired a 1978 cb750 f2 I'm rightly or wrongly going to replace the points ignition my options are the dynatek dyna s system or a boyer bransden kit, would appreciate all opinions on what set up is best and hear from those that have done the conversion thanks in advance

bob

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: electronic ignition
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 05:37:56 PM »
Got a Dyna S on the 400.  What i like about it, apart from the better starting/running, is there's no additional black box to find a place for.  The pick ups are connected directly to the coils.  I did, however,  have to run an additional 12V supply from the coil positive to where the yellow and blue leads join to the loom by the brake switch.
Put thread lock on  the pick up securing screws because one of mine worked loose.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline sohc bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:43:57 PM »
thanks for the reply mike the bike, does the system work well with the stock coils, I notice with the boyer set up you also get coils with the kit

bob

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 06:35:19 PM »
I don't see why not,  although I put dyna coils on because the rain was getting to the OEM ones.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 08:04:18 PM »
I have Boyer on my CB500,

bought in the day when it didn't come with coils ,very happy with the system
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Alan4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 11:12:07 PM »
I have just put a Boyer system on my 400 4 , decided to buy myself an early xmas present and bought the micro power system [ Kit 00289 it works with CB 400- 750]  that comes with new coils  , thinking that  it would help remove the original coils susceptibility to getting wet and  rather than mess about,   I would change the whole ignition system . What I did not realise was that the new coils are smaller and the mounting holes don't  line up with the originals ... no adaptor plates in the kit .... so had to spend the afternoon making up mounting plates and spacers. Having done it I am  pleased with the results .
 I can send you photos / dimensions of the mounting plates if it helps   .... dont know if they would be the same for a 750  ....     

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 11:41:03 AM »
Hi Bob,
I'll start by coming clean and saying that I am playing Devil's Advocate with this post.
There are many posts and threads on this forum detailing people's experience with different electronic ignition systems.
There are also many members of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" brigade, of which I am also a member, who happily run with the standard points and coils setup.
You started this thread by saying ".... I'm rightly or wrongly going to replace the points ignition ....", so my question to you is to ask why you think you need to replace the standard setup in the first place.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »
Very good question Chris. I was tempted earlier this year to change to the Dyna S system on my 400/4 but, having given it more thought I also went along the lines of 'If it isn't broken, don't mend it' so left the original in situ.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 02:21:47 PM »
Very good question Chris. I was tempted earlier this year to change to the Dyna S system on my 400/4 but, having given it more thought I also went along the lines of 'If it isn't broken, don't mend it' so left the original in situ.

Agree 100% and I am an electronics engineer so I shouldn't. Just don't fit crabby pattern points.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline theshootist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
I'm in the process of having a 836cc kit fitted to my F1. I'm going for the Boyer system.

Offline sohc bob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 05:45:36 PM »
hi all thanks for the replys, I started the thread by saying "rightly or wrongly" regards changing from points to electronic ignition because I was sure that there maybe some that would prefer the points system, all through my biking life (34 years) ive only ever had one other bike that had points and I replaced those for a boyer system, I'm not a fan of points and as a personal preference prefer to have electronic ignition and never have to worry about adjusting timing replacing points etc, I also personally see it as an upgrade for the bike again only a personal preference but appreciate all the comments

bob

Offline sohc bob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 01:14:45 PM »
hi greebo thanks for the reply, did you notice any difference with tick over when you fitted it I think my preference maybe the dyna s system

bob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal