Author Topic: gear box  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Cookie2050

• View Profile
gear box
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »
Hi guys
Has any body had to replace or repair their 41 tooth countershaft low gear? I am finally rebuilding my engine and ordered new chains and piston rings and seals etc.
 started re build and the first problem i found was the low gear is very worn with loads of wear on the brass bush, none in stock at david silver and not made any more. Has any one replaced the brass bush? or am i going to have to wait for a decent one to turn up at DS or E-Bay.
Thanks
Russ

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: gear box
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:33:36 PM »
Do you mean this ...item # 145 ?

Don't think the bush is available separately or ever was. It may be the same bush as a CB350K gear in which case its possible I may have one.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 02:46:40 PM »
You could try Steve at http://www.400fourbits.co.uk/ - he may have the gear available.

Offline Cookie2050

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
hi
yes ashimoto thats the one , im on holiday from work this week and i havent got my vernier calliper to measure the size of the bore or the shaft so i cant be sure the 350 one would fit. Chris ill have a look on the site and see if he has anything in stock. it may be easier to buy one than try and get one made where i work.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 06:59:54 PM »
I'll have a look in the shed.   Give me a day or so.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 10:23:02 PM »
This 750 gear has the correct ID bush if any use .

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Cookie2050

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »
sorry for the delay in replying

i measured the diameter of the bush and its about 0.20 over size, the shaft is around 0.15  down.

there is also a lot of sideways play on the gear, i can get a 30 thou feeler guage between the gear and the 20 mm spacer and this removes a lot of the wobble in the gear. i may have to get or manufacture some new spacers.

i did some investigating into the bush itself and they look very similar to a wrapped bush

http://www.bowman.co.uk/products/wrapped_bronze_bearings

if you look at ashimoto's pic you can just see the line where the bearing is split at the top right,

steve at 400 four bits has got a gear in stock so im going to e-mail him  and see what he wants for it and i will also find out a bit more info on the bushes themselves

Russ

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 12:20:51 PM »
You can have that Gear FOC BTW if the bush is of any use .. & yes its a rolled bush

Offline Cookie2050

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »
thank you ashimoto, thats a great offer you'll hve to let me buy you a drink surely.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »
thank you ashimoto, thats a great offer you'll hve to let me buy you a drink surely.

No worries Just pay the postage & send me your address. I have a 13.7 mm and a 16.7 mm deep one . Which one is best for 400?

OD is just under 27 mm ?  Since I have pressed out don't worry about postage just put the cost of a stamp in your local charity box.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 05:35:55 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 07:13:19 AM »
Russ told me it's the 13.7mm one on the 400/4. The bush when I pressed it out had similar markings to SOHC crank shells on the OD probably made by the same company.
In the post today Russ

Offline Cookie2050

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 11:51:34 AM »
Cheers ash

Working nights this week so i should be able to get on with it.

Offline Greg65

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 07:43:35 AM »
Ok, have the same problem. So can anyone tell me the dimensions of the bush required so I can try and source a replacement.

Thanks,
Greg
Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.
Honda CB400 1976
Suzuki GS1000 1978

Offline Greg65

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 03:54:45 PM »
Had a session with the micrometer and the shaft measures up at a fraction under 20mm and using a digital calliper I think the outside diameter of the bush will be 23mm but this is a bit of an estimate, can anyone give me a more precise figure?

Greg
Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.
Honda CB400 1976
Suzuki GS1000 1978

Offline ttr400

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • CB400F special machined parts
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »
I make these bushes all the time for that gear, but i match the new bush to the gear and shaft. I use Bronze.

Best is to take the gear and shaft to a local machine shop, they will turn one up in no time.

Kevin
If you are addicted to the little CB400F then you might want to check out my website.
www.ttr400.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal