Author Topic: spark plug removal  (Read 1035 times)

Offline sohc bob

• View Profile
spark plug removal
« on: October 12, 2016, 06:45:12 PM »
hi all I'm after doing a plug change on my 750 f2, is there a tool specific to remove the centre plugs or could I get by using an 18mm box spanner which I need to obtain I can remove the outer 2 using an 18mm long reach socket but no good on pots 2 and 3

cheers bob

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: spark plug removal
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 06:52:34 PM »
If you have the correct size box spanner, use it! That is basically what was in the original toolkit! ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 07:45:56 PM »
echoing what Hairy said,

well worth getting the correct plug spanner,

think David Silver has copies,if you can't get anywere else
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
I've for years used the original Honda box type spanner for these and they can be difficult if the threads are at all tight.

Recently bought a pass through (hollow extension shaft and ratchet)  socket set from Clahs Olsen shop,  one of their own brand "Co Craft" sets which is the best thing I've yet found to get to all the plugs.

It's also designed to flank drive bolts so will accommodate various states of rusty / knackered bolts under old cars etc. One of the best tools I've bought in a long time,  my family are getting fed up with me telling them what I've undone with it.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
I've for years used the original Honda box type spanner for these and they can be difficult if the threads are at all tight.

Recently bought a pass through (hollow extension shaft and ratchet)  socket set from Clahs Olsen shop,  one of their own brand "Co Craft" sets which is the best thing I've yet found to get to all the plugs.

It's also designed to flank drive bolts so will accommodate various states of rusty / knackered bolts under old cars etc. One of the best tools I've bought in a long time,  my family are getting fed up with me telling them what I've undone with it.

it sounds good,do a link !!

we can't miss out !!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »
http://m.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-17-Piece-Pass-Through-Socket-Set/Pr408742000

That should get you to it but I see from the site that it's discontinued but their stores show stock when I check and at my nearest there's a pile of them.
Guess if nobody is buying them then the stock line is deemed a failure.

I bought mine to work on old cars and just amazed at where you can get it into particularly when access is restricted as it has a very slim head profile with a small crank / bend to the handle, meaning you can orientate the ratchet to be within the socket depth profile if that makes sense.

Putting the handle on essentially upside down gets it into the 750 centre plugs and comes out underneath the frame crossmember that is restricting access.

I wouldn't have gone out and bought it just to do those plugs, I didn't even think of that when I bought it, but it's probably the first set I go to now for most things as it's so easy to use.

Hope that helps.

Offline sohc bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 01:17:18 PM »
hi greebo Ive not got the original spanner, although I have seen some 18mm box spanners on ebay, what length would I need

cheers bob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal