Author Topic: cheap ultrasonic cleaner  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Glenzil

• View Profile
cheap ultrasonic cleaner
« on: October 14, 2016, 05:30:07 PM »
Got the carbs to bits day before yesterday. Took me  while as the slides and float pins were completely gummed up and stuck solid. A couple of days soaking in diesel helped a lot! They're now all apart but the bowls are full of toffee-like gum which doesnt bode well for the jets etc, so....I've ordered one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PJRJYNS/ref=s9_simh_gw_g60_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=91315J5EEQ16QZFPANT1&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

It was only £30 and is probably not spectacular but I just wondered if any one else has tried this type?

Current Bikes:
Kawasaki GT750P1 1982
Honda CB400F 1977

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: cheap ultrasonic cleaner
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
Ashimoto (Ash) is your man for this. He has a test that involves something to do with silver foil? I usually sub it out to someone that knows what they are doing to be honest.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 07:22:03 PM »
Very similar to my one.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline kevin 755

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 11:43:48 AM »
Can you post how it performs as I am thinking of doing the same.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
The gum and varnish will dissolve in cellulose thinners. Much cheaper than carb cleaner aerosols but basically the same solvent.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
I suppose for that money you can't go wrong. The test is to put a piece of aluminium foil in the tank and  after a couple of minutes of ultrasonic action you should see tiny perforations when you hold it up to the light. Some Chinese small ones are very aggressive though and the foil turns to dust so be careful. I agree that  it's best remove all of the old fuel varnish  &  a good dunk in solvent will remove most of it. Get parts as clean as you can 'mechanically'/chemically  then ultrasonically clean. Test the cleaning fluid with a scrap  alloy carb part first if you have one to make sure it doesn't discolour the metal or remove the original irridescent finish if you are lucky enough to still have that finish
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Glenzil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 09:07:16 PM »
I've been soaking the various jets in cellulose thinners and have soaked the rest in diesel for a couple of days to loosen up the crud. As soon as I've had a go with the ultrasonic cleaner ill put up some pictures and let you know what its like.
Current Bikes:
Kawasaki GT750P1 1982
Honda CB400F 1977

Offline Tazaud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 08:53:30 PM »
I purchased the 6 litre version and have been really pleased with the results.
This pic shows my float bowls at differnt stages of ultrasonic cleaning, i think i was giving them 15 minute blasts in the cleaner and just repeating and wiping them until clean.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »
Before these ultrasonic machines were about, we used a old pressure cooker and got good results. Looks like it is doing the job.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 07:50:37 AM »
I hadn't thought of using one of those trigger,  I'll look out for an old one. My mates mum used to make grey vegetables in one when we were kids ;)

I had to clean some su carbs from a rover 2000, last weekend which had the float chambers half full of petrol tar as they'd sat for 15yrs, boiled the parts in plain water in an old saucepan. It all swelled and came off in about 10 minutes.

Proprietary carb cleaner uses acetone as far as I know,  used to be supplied as nail varnish remover amongst other things but used in fibre glass work etc.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
I hadn't thought of using one of those trigger,  I'll look out for an old one. My mates mum used to make grey vegetables in one when we were kids ;)

I had to clean some su carbs from a rover 2000, last weekend which had the float chambers half full of petrol tar as they'd sat for 15yrs, boiled the parts in plain water in an old saucepan. It all swelled and came off in about 10 minutes.

Proprietary carb cleaner uses acetone as far as I know,  used to be supplied as nail varnish remover amongst other things but used in fibre glass work etc.

One of my fathers day pressies was 5l of acetone off eBay... sad or what   :)  . I think the banned stuff was a mixture of solvents including  Methylene Chloride. Worth a try with std thinners from autojumbles at 5 quid for 5 litres. Pressure cooker sounds like a good idea Trigger. I think combinations of solvents, boiling, blasting & ultrasonics is what the pros' use. Ultrasonic  cleaning, on it's own, never seems to work for me and I have access to 4 massive ones where I work and a a 45 litre one of my own
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 09:28:23 AM »

Are you telling me that vegetables are Not grey  :) :) :)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 09:55:31 AM »
You're not putting the veg in with the carbs (now there's a food joke I nearly didn't spot)  are you trigger?

That's a pretty useful father's day present Ash,  I'd have been pleased with something like that. My father worked quite a bit with glassfibre, so just grew up with that as one of the background smells.

For years we run an analytical chemistry lab within a factory and everything was steamed to clean it in there. All the vessels and aperatus with whatever was on them were kept clean using that method, including any tarring.

Offline Glenzil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 08:10:38 PM »
I've had a go with the cleaner now and tried a variety of home made cleaning fluids including water/fairy liquid, water/morrisons multisurface cleaner, water/dissolved dishwasher tablet. The best result I had was with the dishwasher tablet. I found that a couple of 15min blasts worked well enough to clean the body, it seems to clean the side facing the bottom of the bowl best. I assume this is where the transducer is. Overall its pretty good for the money, its sold as a 2L capacity but its more like 1Ltr. The next one up is 3L which is also more powerful so would probably be better [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Current Bikes:
Kawasaki GT750P1 1982
Honda CB400F 1977

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 08:14:06 PM »
I think I will just stick with using the dishwasher or if there really bad boiling them on the hob with a dishwasher tab as its not failed yet.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal