Author Topic: 500/550 Pinned Rocker Shafts + a rebore question  (Read 864 times)

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
500/550 Pinned Rocker Shafts + a rebore question
« on: November 12, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »
I notice on my 550k that it has pinned rocker shafts. Apparently introduced after premature wear of the cylinder head cover. Strange that it only became apparent after quite a few years on manufacture of the 500/550s so may have arisen for other issues at that time.
As I have a spare cover my question is, is it really necessary and has anyone tried modifying an old cover and shafts to stop the them moving?

And while I'm here and it's ***** outside. Just measured up my spare cb500 block by positioning a ring at various points and checking gap. To sum up the bores are fine over the whole length except the final top 6-8mm of the stroke and then goes out to what I calculate as top just over the top limit 56.1. Is that normal, but presume that it's rebore time?
Thanks all
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 500/550 Pinned Rocker Shafts + a rebore question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 02:01:30 PM »
My cb500 hasn't worn its rocker pins on her original motor and that did the bulk of 180,000 miles or so lugging a sidecar for the majority of that time so I personally wouldn't worry about retro fitting the modification.
Interesting what you say about the wear to the top 6-8mm of the bore, I geuss that is rebore time but I am no expert. Thanks for highlighting the small wear area, I'd better just check my engine there when I rebuild it, it wasn't out of tolereance but I think I measured mine lower down the bores, so there might be a spare set of new old stock rings surplus from my spares if mine is similarly worn and that does indeed mean rebore time. Over to the experts.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: 500/550 Pinned Rocker Shafts + a rebore question
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 09:14:16 AM »
Thanks for that Mathew. I'm also a bit suspicious of the mod as it did not appear before a long way through production and never remember it at the time. Perhaps it was a problem that affected a particular batch and the thought they should do something to restore confidence. The official Honda bulletin of course says that you have to replace the cover with a new one. I think the shafts were locked in place on the 350/400s but by a different method.
And on the bore question I could feel a line at the top where the top compression ring would reach at TDC. A loose ring above this gave a gap of about .012" and at about midway on the bore it was not much different. But when positioned a little way down from the top the gap increased to 0.027" Tried moving the ring around axially to do it a few times, but always same result. The feel at the top of the bore was the giveaway.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal