Author Topic: Turning an engine upside down  (Read 850 times)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Turning an engine upside down
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:50:26 PM »
I need to turn my engine upside down to strip the bottom of paint. The engine is all together and have no reason to split the engine as it has just been rebuilt. I have it mounted on an engine stand that can flip it through 360 degrees. I have drained as much oil as I can as I need to change the sump plate. My question is this, is it OK to leave the engine upside down for any length of time, will any oil get into places it shouldn't and cause any problems? I did have oil run out of the stater cover bolts when I had it on its side. I am trying to minimize any oil getting onto the aluminum I have just stripped for obvious reasons.
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
Re: Turning an engine upside down
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:00:58 PM »
Maybe a strange remark but isn't it easier to drain all the oil?
Than you don't have to worry either...

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Turning an engine upside down
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 10:07:19 PM »
There really shouldn't be that much oil left inside it but would be worth removing the sump plate while it's right way up as that forms the lowest point for oil to collect in during running for the oil pump to suck up.

If you're not wanting oil running out the bottom, take sump off and clean,  leave motor to drain,  refit sump so you can flip the motor.

Once upside down then the only way out for the oil is through the breathers as far as I can see, so fit pipes to those so you don't get oil dripping out and running onto the cases.

The camshaft sits in little pools of oil within those cam carriers on the head so you may get a small volume from those that haven't drained down when it was the right way up (it's design tries to keep oil there when the motor is switched off to avoid dry cam lobes before oil pressure builds) that will exit through the top breather.

It should do it no harm to leave it upside down as far as I can see.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal