Author Topic: 350 carbs  (Read 967 times)

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
350 carbs
« on: November 26, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »
Stripped the carbs this week as bike would not run, old o-rings letting by, new rebuild kits from the states, i found that heights set at 21mm the carbs overflowed and at that height the floats appeared to be too close to the upper body, so i reset floats to 23mm this gives them a better upper clearance and the over flowing has stopped, i had them set up on he bench with a fuel supply for about 4hours and no let by, i measured a new needle valve seat and compared it to an original and the new ones are 0.3mm longer than OEM, has anyone else found this and overcome the problem, also has anyone else reset the levels to aid this and with what results, also new manifold and air-box rubbers going on, valve clearances done all were tight, with any good fortune a start up tomorrow.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 350 carbs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »
It's a known issue that some of the non-OEM rebuild kits are not exactly to spec but a difference of 0.3mm in the needle valve seat length is not massively significant and should be compensated for when you set the float heights.

I synchronised my carbs on the bench using a 1/8" drill under the throttle slides on the engine side of the carb and when I fitted them and set up the vac gauges they were already near enough to run. Only one of them needed a tiny tweak on the adjusting screw on top of the carb.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »
Well got started, a bit fluffy to start with but settled down nicely, ran for about ten minutes, next job balancing though they are not far out, video taken just got to upload it.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 08:54:56 PM »
The bike running for the first time in many years, also sporting a genuine Honda tank, a bit lumpy at first but smoothed out a bit, carb balancing next .                   

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:07:55 PM by kevski »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal