Author Topic: Head probs.  (Read 1098 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Head probs.
« on: December 06, 2016, 12:00:21 AM »
Re posted from another thread...

After gunking off the head and further cleaning in the dishwasher,  I noticed the cam journals don't look too healthy.   There's quite a bit of swarf had scored the ally, probably the left overs from the vapour blasting years ago.
Q1.  is the head and rocker cover scrap?
Q2.  Can I just carry on using is as it is?
Q3.  Why didn't the oil filter clean all the crap out?
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Head probs.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 08:16:48 AM »
Can not see it, so can not comment.
Is it light scoring ? Is it heavy ? Is the measurements within spec ? And a filter doesn't collect everything.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 11:41:03 AM »
I called in Thunder Road and had a word with one 8f the mechanics.  He told me it isn't serviceable.  Not a problem,  I've got a spare head.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »
Is that all the bearings in the head casting? If so, what are the top ones like? The caps in effect.

Looks like it's been run on knackered oil,  doesn't need abrasives if the oil film breaks down it'll do that. The filter will just catch the bits coming out from the bearings to prevent it going round again.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 04:50:27 PM »
There's quite a bit of swarf had scored the ally, probably the left overs from the vapour blasting years ago.
Q3.  Why didn't the oil filter clean all the crap out?
Methinks if the swarf or other stuff was left in the engine it would get pushed through the oilways around the engine before it gets back to the point where it would get filtered out.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 06:32:37 PM »
There was swarf when I lifted the rocker cover off so that's how the damage occurred.  Luckily I've got a spare rocker cover and head, they just need a damn good clean and, maybe a respray.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:56:37 PM »
Ordinarily there are differing affects made from varying causes. The oil film here keeps the cam from touching the alloy bearing when fully pressured with good condition oil. If the film cannot Support the load that the rockers put on the cam then as it breaks that film,  it usually starts to wear the bottom cam bearings first.
You'd get a different effect if you have hard abrasive particals reaching the bearing site, it usually embeds itself into the soft alloy and starts to cut into the camshaft. Obviously the two are very different.
If you've got that much wear on the cam bearings, then the big ends and mains I think could have also been at risk. While it's appart, I would be inclined to check them.�
It's why the oil condition is sooooooooo very important,  above all else, when running these motors.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:26:08 PM »
Looks like oil break down or the pump is not up to max pressure.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal