Author Topic: New wiring harness installation  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Brian G

• View Profile
New wiring harness installation
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »
Good afternoon, everyone -

I'm in the process of rebuilding a '75 CB400F and have reached the point of installing a new wiring harness sourced from David Silver Spares' U.S. outlet. I obtained new right and left handlebar switches from 4into1.com and everything seemed to snap together just fine with only a couple of things making me scratch my head. I should mention here that electrical is not my strong suit  ::)

There are three unused bullet connectors in the bundle which resides aft of the steering stem under the tank. The light blue/white and orange/white wires I believe should be connected to the front directional indicators when I install them but the remaining blue/brown is a puzzle. The wiring diagram I have seems to show a blue/brown running in one direction to the tail-light fuse and in the other to a black multiple connector and thence to the horn? Do I connect the horn to this wire?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

One more quick question while I have your attention  ;)

The wiring diagram shows a red/green wire from the clutch switch. The replica LH handlebar switch I got from '4into1' does not have a clutch switch - I assume ( :-\) that I can simply jump the red/green from the harness in the headlight to any of the many available green wires also in the headlight shell to make it work?

Thanks for your help,
Brian
1975 Honda CB400F Project
1979 Honda CBX
1978 Honda CB550K
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1969 BSA Rocket 3
2008 Kawasaki C14 Concours

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: New wiring harness installation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 06:49:30 PM »
Disregard the LB/W and O/W wires.  They're for the yankee models which have 2 filament bulbs as indicators and those wires feed the 5W filaments. 

Not much you can do about the clutch switch if your aftermarket handlebar switchgear haven't got it.  Join the G/R to a green otherwise you won't be able to start the bike if it's in gear (remember to pull the clutch in or you'll take off)
If you leave G/R disconnected,  you'll have to find neutral every time you want to start.  Your choice.

The horn is LG (light green),  comes from the horn switch, supplying 12V to one side of the horn, the other side is grounded.

Black wires are 12V (not negative)

The Br/Bl is a 12V feed from a fuse to the ignition switch.

Tail lamp and side lamp wiring is plain brown.

Hope this helps

PS.  I just noticed you're Canadian.   If your front indicators have 2 filament bulbs (like the stop/tail), then connect the LB/W and O/W.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:53:14 PM by mike the bike »
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Brian G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:37:40 PM »
....The Br/Bl is a 12V feed from a fuse to the ignition switch.

Tail lamp and side lamp wiring is plain brown.

Hope this helps

It certainly does, Mike. Thanks very much! I'm still a little hazy on where to find the male bullet connector that connects to the empty brown/blue female connector in the original picture, though.

If I'm reading the below diagram correctly, the brown/blue plugs into a multiple black supply connector at one end, proceeds to the right through a br/bl connector to the fuse, where it changes from a brown/blue to a brown/white which then goes to the ignition switch. I checked my ignition switch and harness and they are as in the diagram - a 5 blade plug with 2 browns, a brown/white, a black and a red.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

At the other end... what is the significance of the symbol that I outlined in red upper left?  Man.., wish I'd paid more attention in school... :-[

Best Regards,

>>edit<<

PS: I guess with bikes of this age, there's not much that hasn't been discussed at one time or another -

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92766.0

I should have searched a liittle harder - thanks for your reply, Mike.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:19:16 PM by Brian G »
1975 Honda CB400F Project
1979 Honda CBX
1978 Honda CB550K
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1969 BSA Rocket 3
2008 Kawasaki C14 Concours

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
Be careful, the horn wiring is opposite on the coloured version.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 03:55:59 PM »
Mike is right, this has been raised before, horn button can go to earth with a positive feed to the other horn terminal

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,5498.msg27050.html#msg27050
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:00:08 PM by ka-ja »
nice bike,nothing in the bank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal