Author Topic: CB500 K1 In sunny Argyll, Scotland.  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Marcosmini

• View Profile
CB500 K1 In sunny Argyll, Scotland.
« on: December 20, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »
Hello to all, I have just pulled out the 500/4 that I've owned for a couple of years, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it, it has chassis and engine numbers, but no reg docs, was told that it was a Japanese polis bike, but that may be suitable for an episode of Jackanory!
I like the street scrambler look, but part of me screams that it's wrong to do that to a bike that COULD be restored, but if I restore it, I won't want to ride it! (we live on a forest track, and it makes a right mess of any vehicle)
So far I've replaced the coils, and it turns over and sparks, but the carbs are in a shocking state, it's got water in to them at some point, and the corrosion is awful, the right hand two would salvage, but the left two are gubbed! (translation; fu**ed)
Other than that, the rest of it looks ok, could be run as an "oily ragger" if it wasn't Japanese!
I'm trying to locate a set, or part set of carbs, in order to try and get it running before I strip it and start on the re-build.
(Even a loan of a set would be very helpful!)  Neil.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB500 K1 In sunny Argyll, Scotland.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum Neil. It sounds like whatever you decide to do with the bike, it's certainly going to be fun !!!. Good luck.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 08:22:39 PM »
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC, you need to speak to BryanJ a member on here about your CB500K1. He has a lot of experience with the 500 numbers.

Offline Marcosmini

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:14:36 PM »
Thanks, I will contact him, it would be useful to know its background.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
Frame number, engine number and a picture would help me fit it in

Offline Marcosmini

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »
Hi Bryan, I have tried very hard to upload some pictures of the bike, without success! I also re-typing this after I lost the original! Anyway, the engine no. is 2031086, and frame no. CB500E 2031201. I was told that it was a Japanese police bike, and there are a few things that could back that up, it has a Japanese sticker on the tank, speedo in km., all service items and crucial bolts are daubed in yellow paint in typical army/service fashion.
It's original colour scheme was maroon/purple with black tank sides and a double white pinstripe, which is not a common colour?
Any info would be gratefully received, and I will try to add photos, but don't hold your breath!!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 11:10:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Sound like you need to decide weather to have a rideable bike or a restoration.   I'd go for something I could ride and enjoy but it's your bike and your choice.
Whatever you decide to do we'll be 100% behind you.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 02:00:26 PM »
You have the numbers the wrong way round and a 2031*** frame number was built in 7/72 so it could be a K1 or K2, when I find my Japanese parts book I will be able to tell if the purple was a Japanese colour, it was a 550 colour

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
I ran an oily rag cb500/4 for 180,000 miles or more, its currently sat awaiting finishing off its rebuild as it was getting rather worn out. In standard form they make excellent oily rag classic rides for daily use,mine was no stranger to forest tracks and I'm at the end of a road so it got the track treatment every day as the tar runs out at the farm gate. As long as you are not too precious about the add stone dent in the chrome mudguards and for ease of daily use find a fiberglass rear guard then a stock bike is a joy to own even given a forest track entry to the roads. I'd take a classic bike over a modern for such use any day, I have a couple of modern Hondas and the fat rear tyres of a size that limmit you to road tyres means the bikes are next to useless if there is much mud around. 100 yards to the shed is a trip they do sideways in a silly wheelspin where the cb500/4 just cruises in with no drama.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Marcosmini

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »
Hi Bryan, I have tried very hard to upload some pictures of the bike, without success! I also re-typing this after I lost the original! Anyway, the engine no. is 2031086, and frame no. CB500E 2031201. I was told that it was a Japanese police bike, and there are a few things that could back that up, it has a Japanese sticker on the tank, speedo in km., all service items and crucial bolts are daubed in yellow paint in typical army/service fashion.
It's original colour scheme was maroon/purple with black tank sides and a double white pinstripe, which is not a common colour?
Any info would be gratefully received, and I will try to add photos, but don't hold your breath!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
Is that one of those speed warning lights (as fitted to some Japanese market bikes I believe) in the steering stem nut or some other later addition?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 04:02:15 PM »
If the footrests do not hinge up its a Japanese market one

Offline Marcosmini

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 04:15:05 PM »
Is that one of those speed warning lights (as fitted to some Japanese market bikes I believe) in the steering stem nut or some other later addition?
That would make sense, it all looks original, with wiring coming out of the headset and going into headlamp shell. I've never seen or heard of that before! Is it set to a particular speed?

Offline Marcosmini

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
If the footrests do not hinge up its a Japanese market one
Yes the footrests are fixed. Thanks.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 09:05:22 PM »
That would make sense, it all looks original, with wiring coming out of the headset and going into headlamp shell. I've never seen or heard of that before! Is it set to a particular speed?

Don't know much about them myself but there is some info in this thread: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,10937.msg80339.html#msg80339

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal