Author Topic: Tune-up kit of unknown origin  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Jore

• View Profile
Tune-up kit of unknown origin
« on: January 07, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
I also posted this on sohc4 forum, but might as well share it here:
Thought I'd share with you guys some pictures of a NOS tune-up kit I found in the clearance bin of a local tool shop, this thing sat there for so long it has like 5 different price tags, all of them blacked out, also the case is all tattered and yellowed but everything works fine. It's a sanpet SA-900 kit, I've googled it a bit and couldn't find any information on it, I did find some pictures of timing lights by the same brand, but none resemble the one I have.

Mostly I bought out of curiosity but also because of the timing light, the kit includes 5 tools, a timing light, a dwell/rpm meter, a vacuum gauge, a compression meter (this one I liked very much because how compact it is) and a remote starter switch, well enough with the babble, here are the pics:

I have no idea on how old it is or where it's from. But it was in that store for ages.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
Re: Tune-up kit of unknown origin
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 09:36:16 AM »
never seen one before in 60 yrs of bikes, but the word "gas" on the packing gives a bit of an idea, probably from usa
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:13:23 AM »
Not a lof of use with our bikes.   For a start, we need 4 vacuum gauges and the dwell meter isn't used on our bikes either, that's a car distributor diagnostic tool as far as I know.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
That's the trouble with the interweb;  so much conflicting information.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile

Offline Jore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 01:37:55 AM »
This is actually my second dwell meter, I have another actron unit that I've used before, as someone pointed already they're quite useful, you just have to adjust your reading based on the scale your unit has, the clymer manual has a pretty detailed section on how to use them. But mostly I bought the kit out of curiosity and for the timing light, but the compression tester has proved to be useful also.

Offline Jore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:38:55 AM »
found this       http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/other/auction-1234664334.htm

This one looks fairly new, I wonder why I can't seem to find anything on the company

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
There are several adverts for seperate Sanpet parts ie. dwellmeter in Australian for sale sites, so they could be from that part of the world.

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »
I've used a dwell meter on SOHCs Mike, in fact there is a dwell meter on the Honda diagnostic console they provided in the 70s.

I find it extremely accurate for setting points, all I did was fit a brand new set of points and measure the gap really carefully. Put the dwell meter on which I'd bought and take a note of the number it read, mine is still scratched on the surface with this number. Easy to copy the setting later when the points are pitted etc.

I have a Original HONDA DWELL Meter from the seventies and is the best tool on my garage

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal