Author Topic: Battery resurrection  (Read 2101 times)

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Battery resurrection
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:37:58 PM »
Hello, before starting to shop for a brand new battery I've read about "resurrecting" mine (barely used).
I guess my regulator messed it up.
it's a 1 year old MF sealed battery, on a the bike being ridden 3-4 times for short periods.
I have refilled the cells with battery water and let to charge for 3-4 hours;
When it reaches 13.5v it will not go any more, within 5 minutes I unplug the charger it drops down to 8v.

Shall I just dispose of it or it can be cured?

Thanks
el__burro
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:50:38 PM by El__burro »

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Battery resurrection
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
I managed to resurrect a couple of wet cell batteries in the past using a couple of white tablets Halfords used to sell. I have no idea what was in them.
I have never managed to ressurect a gel battery mainly because they are sealed and despite using an optimate and then giving it some real amps using a car charger. I recently had to buy a new battery for the Blackbird, £70 with discount!  The old one lasted 9 months, the alarm drained it to beyond flat and it couldn't be recovered. Moral, I should have ridden the bike more instead of restoring the 400 during the summer and I should have used the optimate!
Hope you find a cure, if you do let us all know the secret  :)
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
should a sealed battery have caps on and not let any liquid out?
Mine popped out the first time I charged it.

Thanks

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 10:10:34 PM »
Hi, don't know if you have one already, but trickle charger works by slowly charging the battery to full health. Some will come with indicators which will inform you the battery is beyond repair. If you only ride your bike a few times of the year it's worth investing in one for approx £60 instead of buying new battery every year. As with most batteries if they are not used they lose charge very quickly and never recover. Best of all if hooked up with trickle chargers they will keep yours in top condition throughout the year.
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 10:13:55 PM »
Pretty sure these are the kind of tablets Laverda120 was referring to.
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/granville-bat-aid-tablets-x-12
I seem to recall using something similar many years ago, didn't even know they were still available.
As for the caps popping off, I'm no battery expert but that doesn't sound good to me.

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 10:18:55 PM »
should a sealed battery have caps on and not let any liquid out?
Mine popped out the first time I charged it.

Thanks
Sorry yes there should be caps on to make it sealed, did it explode with gases when being charged? Wow if it did luckily it was not on the bike
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 10:19:08 PM »
I have a trickle charger somewhere but rarely use it.
This is the one i use.

Thanks
el__burro

Offline El__burro

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Battery resurrection
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 10:23:07 PM »
yes there should be caps on to make it sealed, did it explode with gases when being charged? Wow if it did luckily it was not on the bike
Actually they just popped, no Hollywood style explosion.
The battery was on the bike.
I guess the regulator overcharged it until it dried out.
Shall I seal the holes before charging it?

Thanks
el__burro
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:26:58 PM by El__burro »

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
That's the ones Chris. I had no idea they were still available,  very 80's!
I wouldn't use a dry cell battery after the lid has come off, that doesn't sound good. On the Blackbird the battery lays down and I wouldn't want the lid to come off in that position  ???
We had a brand new car at work, less than 2 weeks old when the battery exploded whilst the car was idling at a level crossing. The engine compartment was wrecked and the car written off!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 10:29:51 PM »
More than likely the plugs were spat out because the electrolyte got too hot, caused by overcharging.   I use an Optimate on each bike so I never have to jump start it off the van.  If it's spitting plugs out when it's being ridden, I would suspect the regulator.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »
yes there should be caps on to make it sealed, did it explode with gases when being charged? Wow if it did luckily it was not on the bike
Actually they just popped, no Hollywood style explosion.
The battery was on the bike.
I guess the regulator overcharged it until it dried out.
Shall I seal the holes before charging it?

Thanks
el__burro

No never plug holes while charging via battery charger, it will explode. Unless it's a controlled unit like a trickle charger which slowly charges, reaches it alternate max, then just charges in small controlled cycles to keep in top tune. I have an Oxford altermate and has been great, just plug in and leave and it manages itself. If that's what you have then or similar use that to recover your battery's. Usually battery chargers just charge until it boils, then your battery is no good and worse explodes. Happy biking
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 07:14:17 AM »
Tried to resurrect batteries with various chargers and optimisers over the years and they never ever lasted more than a few days.  Sorry it sounds brutal but yours has been cooked, throw it away.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 07:54:01 AM »
It looks from your readings as if two cells art completely stuffed, that 8volt after charging is the giveaway.

It's very unlikely you'll get that back to anything like normal.

Be very careful charging in a non vented area. if you spark it while connecting or disconnecting it after or during charging it will explode.

I think you got your regulator sorted before on another post?  So it should be ok to use a new battery without risk to it now.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
I recently had a pair of Oxford 601 optimisers that cooked both lead acid batteries they were connected to. Had to bin both batteries, so I binned the optimisers with them. I use a pair of Noko Genius units now, and so far so good.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Greebo

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 10:44:59 AM »
I have a Motobatt sealed battery on mine cost around £47.00 from Dave Silver,it as great cranking power.
[ Note they are not on his website ring them to order as it has to be the right one size wise etc to fit in the battery box]

regarding trickle chargers I use the Halfords one around £24 this one only gives out 1.25amps, this output is for most bike batteries to prevent damage, it has a on-off cycle, it stops charging when the battery is fully charged & then when the charge drops it kicks in again.
I have been using 2 of these Halfords charges on my CB750 & Thruxton for 3 years with no issues at all, & the Thruxton is still on the stock battery, both bikes are only run occasionally in summer months.

I don't leave the chargers on constantly through the winter storage period although you can if you want, i tend to keep the chargers on for a month & then turn them off for a week & whilst the charger is off I start the bikes up to warm them up a tad. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:47:35 AM by Greebo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal