Author Topic: DOHC oil Filter Bolt - Help an Aussie ?  (Read 2208 times)

kazjim

DOHC oil Filter Bolt - Help an Aussie ?
« on: February 19, 2007, 06:58:28 AM »
Hey all, i know this is a SOHC forum, but i didnt think you'd shoot a guy over one cam !

Anyway, I've jsut inherited a DOHC CB750 FZ .. all well and good, but tried to drop the oil filter to give it a change .... and guess what ...

Several years of sitting has frozen the bolt solid....

And a previous owner has rounded the bolt head off real good .....

Vice grips arent getting it off ....

Heat doesnt seem to penetrate far enough up the shank to undo the (Overly large I think!) thread...

I've bought a replacement on Ebay, with a nice oversized head (so this doesnt happen again!)

How to get the f**ker off ?

I'm guessing the SOHC has a similar filter housing to the 1980 FZ ....

Cheers, hear from you soon
J

jimshea

Re:DOHC oil Filter Bolt - Help an Aussie ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 10:05:59 AM »
Not sure if they are the same, is your bolt recessed down in to the fins of the the oil filter cover? If so, I don't have any ideas.

kazjim

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:22:22 AM »
Nope, the bolt head is still rpoud of hte surface - i Can get some vice grips on there, but the bolt material is just so soft it rips off instead of turning....:(

kazjim

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:28:40 AM »
Nope, the bolt head is still rpoud of hte surface - i Can get some vice grips on there, but the bolt material is just so soft it rips off instead of turning....:(

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 12:33:24 PM »
Loads of discussion on our \"sister\" site in the US.

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=15500.0

Run a search on \"oil filter bolt\" and get some beer in for a long read...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

leonardo269

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 01:14:29 PM »
Hi,
   There are a couple of things you could do, but they all involve a bit of care to the surrounding hilter housing.

The first is to soak some \"plus gas\" or similar around the head of the bolt for an hour or so.
Next, get a drift on the head of the bolt and hit it a good straight clonk.
Then get your grips on the head of the bolt and see if it moves. if you have some locking type grips such as \"mole\" grips, you should be able to lock onto the bolt head better.
If this does not work, another trick I have used is to try hitting the head offcentre with a big centre punch to drive it round. after you have hit it on one side, change position and hit it from the other side.
If this does not work you are in the relms of drilling the bolt head and using an stud extractor.

Regards,

Ray

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 09:46:21 AM »
The way that I remove them is to file the bolt head back to it's normal shape, hammer on an 11mm socket (normal size 12 mm) and it usually comes off. Give the bolt head a few sharp taps with a hammer to jolt the threads first, this usually does the trick.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal