Author Topic: Cb 550 motogadget m unit  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
  • First build done cb550 supersport
    • View Profile
Cb 550 motogadget m unit
« on: January 25, 2017, 06:45:09 PM »
Hello all.. I'm new to this forum and currently have a '77' cb550 supersport as my first cafe build! I'm getting through the project and really enjoying it! I am fast approaching the wiring harness and several attempts have been made in cleaning it up but I am losing patience! I would like to fit everything under the seat in a fabricated tray but looking at it every night with a puzzled face as to how it's going to fit is getting tiresome!
I really like the look of the motogadget m unit and was wondering how easy this is to fit with stock everything.. switches ignition controls lights etc! The only aftermarket component I have is a universal speedo with all the idiot lights built in!
Any experiences advice would be very welcomed! Thanks in advance!
Alan
If at first you don't succeed.. hit it with something!

Offline Niko

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cb 550 motogadget m unit
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »
I can't help....but I will be going down the m unit route too....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
Hello all.. I'm new to this forum and currently have a '77' cb550 supersport as my first cafe build! I'm getting through the project and really enjoying it! I am fast approaching the wiring harness and several attempts have been made in cleaning it up but I am losing patience! I would like to fit everything under the seat in a fabricated tray but looking at it every night with a puzzled face as to how it's going to fit is getting tiresome!
I really like the look of the motogadget m unit and was wondering how easy this is to fit with stock everything.. switches ignition controls lights etc! The only aftermarket component I have is a universal speedo with all the idiot lights built in!
Any experiences advice would be very welcomed! Thanks in advance!
Alan

Im running a motogadget on my cb550, installation is easy once you get your head around how everything needs to be connected. charging system is the only real pain with it, but i can advise you on that if you need help. Stock switches wont work with the m unit, youll have to use motogadget switches or any other switches which are momentary ones, the m uit doesnt like the toggle switches for the indicators, doesnt recognise when they are cancelled. Everything else stock will work fine.
Cheers
Phil

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
  • First build done cb550 supersport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:25:14 PM »
Awesome thanks phil! Can you or anyone else recommend some decent switches that won't break the bank? I'm pushing the budget on the m unit but can't really push any further on the wiring? Although they are very pweety!!
If at first you don't succeed.. hit it with something!

Offline gordo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
You can use stock switches but have to select that setting in the m-unit menu. Also you have to wire them to switch ground not 12v.

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »
Tried it, didnt work for the indicators, switching between high and low beam with the toggle was fine though

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »
Try removing the ball bearing in the indicator switch so it doesn't stay on L or R but acts as a momentary switch.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
If the 'momentary switch' turned the indicators on how would you then turn them off? Same switch action again?

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »
Gooe question.   Timed probably but no idea how to cancel them
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline gordo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
From the manual you can set what controls you have on the bars.

7.7 Handle Bar Controls Three different types of handle bar controls are compatible with m-Unit. The particular type which will be used with m-unit must set in the setup menu.  Configuration A) – 5-push button controls - turn lights left  - push button - turn lights right  - push button - low beam / high beam - push button - start    - push button - horn   -  push button Configuration B) – Harley Davidson and BMW controls - turn lights left  - push button - turn light right  - push button - low beam / high beam - switch - start   - push button - horn   -  push button Configuration C) – most Japanese and European motorcycles - turn lights left / right  - 3 way switch  - low beam / high beam - switch - start   - push button - horn   -  push button configuration D) – new Ducati models - turn lights left / right  - 3 way switch  - low beam / high beam - push button  - start   - push button - horn   -  push button configuration E) – 4-push-button controls - turn lights left  - push button - turn lights right  - push button - low beam / high beam - push button  - horn   -  push button - start   = left turn + light simultaneously - kill switch   = right turn + light simultaneously  In case of using the OEM handle bar controls together with m-Unit; head light flashing push button is not applicable. There is also no possibility to switch the parking light by the m-Unit. Additional safety switches like side stand switch have to be connected as shown in chapter 7.9.   

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
Gooe question.   Timed probably but no idea how to cancel them
Hmmm ..... Not sure I'd fancy just having them on a timer. Not sure about the legality aspect either.
I seem to remember that on the CB-1 (NC27) I used to own the indicator was a 'momentary' switch which you then pressed in to cancel the indicators.
Obviously you couldn't do this with the standard switchgear though.

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »
to cancel you press the button again.
tried it with another non honda toggle switch for indicators and that didnt work either

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 10:49:41 AM »
The push to cancel switch on most newer Honda's is much nicer to use, especially with numb hands.

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
From the manual you can set what controls you have on the bars.

.... push button Configuration C) – most Japanese and European motorcycles - turn lights left / right  - 3 way switch  ....
I'm reading this as basically three momentary switches (left / right / cancel).
If this is correct there is no way the standard switchgear will work as an additional terminal/contact is required.

Edit: Reading the M unit manual post again it looks as if some configurations use a push button for left indicator and another for right.
This would seem to use a 'push on push off' operation, in which case using the standard switch as a 'momentary' switch may work.
You would need to check all switches worked the right way for the selected configuration.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:10:01 PM by Chris400F »

Offline gordo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
M-unit uses ground signal to switch so what would be a 12v feed to the switches is grounded instead.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal