Author Topic: Rear wheel bearing retainer  (Read 649 times)

Offline Niko

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Rear wheel bearing retainer
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:54:46 PM »
Hi again...

How do you get this bar steward off....please

I've drilled out the stakes...I think

I've heated the retainer, made a tool, and hitting it in the opposite direction to the inscribed arrow....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Rear wheel bearing retainer
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »
I removed mine about 30yrs ago,it was a swine,I am sure its a LEFT hand thread , so as the rthyme goes   righty loosy-lefty tighty !!!

but wait for others to confirm !!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Niko

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »
I removed mine about 30yrs ago,it was a swine,I am sure its a LEFT hand thread , so as the rthyme goes   righty loosy-lefty tighty !!!

but wait for others to confirm !!!

Bingo.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
It's a Right Hand Thread.

I removed both my Front and Rear hubs etc last year to renew the rims, spokes and anything else which was needed....it's a right bleedin' pig of a job - more so because I'd already stripped the rims and spokes..........and they had already had a few days soaking with Penetrant Oil as well.

The front hub came apart without too much trouble, but the rear hub ended up in a Workmate with a couple of Clamps and a bar to stop it from turning, and the correct Honda Tool (it's a MUST although it never wants to sit squarely in the holes - so that also ended up clamped to the hub). Once everything was firmly in place, and with the Workmate on its side - to stop it all turning about itself, I ended up with a 4 foot steel tube over the extension bar and all my 13 stone weight swinging on the end and the bugger eventually started to turn.

The wheel bearings were all in very good condition - which was why I stripped out the retainer - as were the Cush Rubber's, but I bought new Retainers and got my local Machine Shop to clean up the Female threads, and I used plenty of Copperslip - so the next time the hubs have to be stripped it won't be such a drama.

Not a job I'd fancy doing again without all the right kit.....especially as its been in place for 40 odd years.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal